1

The dress was lighter than it looked, a small mercy for the day. My mother helped me slide into the silk gown and fasten the back, tightening the black straps. "You look beautiful dear," she said, smiling at me in the mirror. I couldn't help but smile back. 

Today was my seventeenth birthday, a day of celebration in the castle. There would be dancing, stealing sips of wine, and sneaking away with Peter when no one was looking. Mother started to braid my hair back, entwining red and silver ribbons to stand out against my black hair. 

"How are you feeling Raven?" Mother asked me. I looked at her in the mirror. She seemed stern, with her eyebrows scrunched together, her mouth a firm line. 

"I'm very excited," I said, brushing on light red lipstick. Normally, the maids would be helping me get ready, but it was a special day. Mother carefully placed my tiara on my head, making sure it would not fall. I loved the small crown, decorated in silver, red, and black jewels, a ruby on the very front. 

She kissed me on the temple and whispered in my ear, "I love you, my dear." She walked out of my room, leaving me to finish preparing. I finished painting my face. Long lashes, soft blush, tiny silver stars on my eyelids. 

From somewhere far off, a trumpet sounded. The guests were arriving now, filling up the ballroom. My heart beat against my rib cage, excitement raging through my veins. I looked at myself in the mirror, admiring the dress. I did look beautiful. Pale skin, black hair, big, dark eyes. I stepped into my heels and waited at the door. 

Someone knocked, as expected. 

I opened it and my father was standing there, wearing a handsome suit. I kissed his cheek and he smiled down at me. "You look wondrous," he said as I tucked my hand in the crook of his arm. We started toward the ballroom, my heels clicking on the marble floors. 

We reached the towering doors leading to the ballroom. Another trumpet sounded and the doors opened, pulled by servants. I smiled and gasped at the sight below us. Hundreds of humans, faeries, and many other magical species were waiting, wearing dazzling gowns and suits. 

"Princess Raven Ebony, second born to the King and Queen Ebony of Vivanenth."