11. killer within

"You need to come with me."

 I dropped what I was doing to look over at Bellamy who had grabbed me by the arm and began pulling me through the camp.

Worry flooded through me as my eyes darted around the camp, trying to find the source of the issue. "What's wrong?"

Bellamy didn't say a word as we stopped at one of the tents and he ushered me inside. As I entered I was met with the sight of Jasper, Clarke, and Octavia standing around a table.

"What's going on?" I question, all of them looking up at me, before all of their eyes fell back to the table, or rather what was on the table. 

"Is that-" I cut myself off, my eyes fixed on the three fingers and the knife that were sitting on the table.

"Wells' fingers." Clarke confirmed.

"Wh-how-where did you find them?" I asked in shock, not sure of how to react in a situation like this.

"Jasper and I found them just outside the wall." Octavia answered.

Clarke leaned forward and picked up the knife, turning it over in her hands, meanwhile examining it, "this knife was made from metal from the drop ship." she concluded.

"What do you mean?" Jasper questioned.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asked, cutting in, trying to sway the conversation. 

"No one." Octavia answered with assurance, "we brought it straight here."

"Clarke?" Jasper said quietly, reproaching the earlier point Clarke had tried to bring up. 

"It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells." Clarke said, finally answering Jasper's question, "It was one of us."

I felt my heart drop as the words left her mouth. There was a killer in our camp.

"So that means there's a murderer in the camp?" Jasper's voice camp out shaky and nervous.

"There's more than one murderer in the camp." Bellamy pointed out as if that was supposed to make us feel better. "This isn't news, let's keep it quiet." He was trying to do everything he could to keep everyone afraid of what was outside our walls, not in. But truthfully, that was only going to create more problems than it solved. People needed to realize that we had rules in here...we couldn't go around killing each other and getting away with it by blaming the Grounders.

But I also knew there was a careful way we had to approach this. The minute people got word that it was one of us who killed Wells, all hell would break loose. 

I shared a look with Jasper and Octavia, the two of them seeming to share similar concerns to my own. But there was one person in the tent who was too livid to stop and consider the consequences of bringing this to the whole group. 

Clarke Griffin was already marching toward the exit of the tent before anyone could say another word. The knife was still gripped tightly in her hands, a determined look on her face. 

Before she could reach the doorway, Bellamy stepped into her path, barring her from going forward. 

"Get out of my way Bellamy." She ordered, voice dark. 

"Be smart about this." Bellamy tried to reason. "Look at what we've achieved, the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is the good for us." 

There it was...his strewed way of thinking.

"Oh, good for you, you mean!" Clarke argued.  "What? Keep people afraid and they'll work for you, is that it?"