Chapter 22: Hot Revenge

I closed my eyes, hoping and not hoping for an answer at the same time. After a minute passing, I finally heard something.

"What are you doing?" 

I turned around and saw Amber holding her jar, sprinkling some beside her. I let out a breath of relief. Thank goodness it was just her. "Hey, Amber," I said.

"I told you to use the jar," she glared at me. "It's not safe here. Come in the lines with me."

I did what I was told and ran in between the lines with her. Together we walked back towards the house. Once we were inside, the two of us went into the kitchen to find some lunch. "What are those outlines on the tree?" I asked her while reaching for a pot to boil water for the Mac and Cheese.

"If you look hard enough," she stops what she's doing. "You can see that they're human outlines of their bodies. Their skin is still there."

I nodded my head. "Are those The Lovely Suicide Children?"

Amber leaned her head to the side. "Depending on where Sunny buries someone who committed suicide, that's where their tree grows. That tree is their home. It seems it's in our world, but it leads to the rest of The Lovely Suicide Children.

I shook my head and let out a fake chuckle. "That's insane."

Amber looked at me. "I've seen them come out at night from my window. They try to get in, but the bones are around the house. Keeps them out."

"Bones?"

"When someone commits suicide, sometimes Sunny gives me their bones as a protection. I smash them up into bits, and pour them around the house."

My eyes widened as I looked around the room. I remembered the stuff that I thought was powder was put on my bed. A shiver crawled up my spine when I realized that I had been sleeping in a circle of crushed bones of people who've committed suicide. That wasn't normal, and there was no moral in that.

"Why do their bones protect the house?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I don't know. But Sunny says I should be protected. I think she's just jealous that I'll stop being her friend," Amber laughed.

I believed that was the first time I had heard her laugh. It made me smile. However, I didn't understand how she could be Sunny's friend. She often warned me of Sunny, yet they were best friends. I didn't understand it. Not sure if I wanted to either.

"Can Sunny hear us?" I asked.

"I think so," Amber replied.

"About The Lovely Suicide Children," I poured the noodles into the boiling water. "what happened the time you saw them?"

"Outside my window?" She looked at the ground. "I can't hear them because they're not on Earth, but their voice echoes like soft angels crying in the wind. They speak, but not English. I don't know what they talk. It's beautiful. I just get scared when some of their voices get darker. Behind someone's angelic voice, you can hear something. Something...bad. Something scaring them away. And when I hear it, The Lovely Suicide Children leave. They vanish."

I nod my head. "Do you think they would hurt you without protection?"

"Not the good ones," Amber sat down on the chair. She quickly gasped when she looked in the doorway and saw Shayla.

Using her phone, Shayla played back a recording that was between Amber and I. It was the recording of our current conversation. All of it, from beginning to end. "I knew Amber was insane, but God. Olivia, I thought you were sane," she then let out a loud laugh and strutted into the kitchen. She purposely bumped into Amber before sitting down. Looking away, Amber ignored her.