Chapter 8

Jojo tapped his foot against the floor nervously. He clenched his fists, chewing his lip, as he watched the door. The clock across the room said that it was half past twelve, and Race still wasn't back yet.

None of the boys had ever been this late, at least without telling someone about it. Jojo had first gotten worried at eight, but everyone had said that Race was probably on his way back from the tracks. Jojo had accepted that and put the thoughts out of his mind until quarter to ten. He had asked around, getting more nervous as he learned that no one had seen him since that morning. He had been told that Race had probably just gone out with Spot, that he'd be back soon. Jojo had agreed, though it didn't put him at ease like it had the first time.

When all the boys had gone to bed around eleven, Jojo had stayed up with Jack and Crutchie who'd agreed to wait for Race to come back before they headed to bed. Crutchie had agreed to stay immediately, while Jack laughed it off at first. He wasn't worried, but he noticed Jojo's fear and said that he'd also wait.

Though Jojo was scared for his friend, he was also exhausted, and he found himself dozing off against his palm.

"Jojo!" The boy jumped awake again as Crutchie shook his shoulder.

"I'm up!" He said, rubbing his eyes.

"Barely," Jack said, patting his other shoulder. "You should get to bed."

"No, I- I ain't t-tired," Jojo argued through a yawn.

"Sure you ain't," Jack laughed.

"So maybe Ise is, but I need to stay up and wait for Race!" Jojo insisted.

"Youse need to go to sleep. Otherwise you won't sell good tomorrow," Crutchie said softly.

"But, but what about when Race gets back?"

"We'll stay down here and wait for 'im," Crutchie promised.

Jojo looked over at Jack who nodded, before waving him off. "Shoo, get to bed."

"Alright," Jojo mumbled through another yawn. "G'night Crutchie, J-Jack."

"G'night Jojo."

"Ya think Race's all right?" Crutchie asked after they heard the door to the boys' room shut.

"Ise not sure anymore," Jack responded, also looking more worried. "If it wasn't so late, I'd have all the boys go out lookin' for 'im. It's too dark now, it'd be dangerous."

"But it's dangerous for Race too," Crutchie argued gently.

"If he ain't back by two, I'll go out myself, how's that sound?"

Crutchie shook his head. "We'll both go out."

"No Crutch, I ain't lettin' you-"

Crutchie raised his eyebrows, sending Jack an annoyed look.

"Fine, you can come," Jack sighed and Crutchie gave a small smile. "Let's hope it don't come to that though." Crutchie nodded in agreement.

***

It was quarter to two and Jack fidgeted in his seat, wishing for the door to swing open or for it to be two o'clock so he could go out and look for his friend. His wishes were answered a few minutes later as Crutchie perked up, hearing the door creak as it opened.

A minute later Race appeared in the doorway, heading toward the steps, head down. Jack's eyes were immediately drawn to the boy's leg, which dragged a bit when he walked.

"Race! You're back!" Crutchie exclaimed, relieved. Race didn't respond and Crutchie immediately grew worried again. "What's wrong Race? Where 'ave ya been?" Crutchie eyed him warily, Race continued to ignore him, still limping as he headed to the stairs.