A Christmas Carol (pt 2)

Kazran stood wide-eyed as he quivered at the image displayed before him: a video he took when he was a kid, that ended in his father hitting him.

"It's okay, it's okay," The Doctor pat Kazran on the shoulder.

Kazran flinched away. "What have you done? What is this?!"

"Oh yeah, sorry that it's in black-and-white. The Doctor tried quantum enfolding but it still wouldn't come out, so I just used a paperclip and... that's not what you meant," I realized too late as Kazran glared at me.

Kazran moved to ring the bell to call his servants, but Dylan interrupted. "Your servants all quit."

Kazran stopped. "What?"

"Apparently they all won the lottery at exactly the same time, which is a bit lucky when you think about it." The Doctor sat in Kazran's chair casually, with the newspaper open.

"There isn't a lottery!" Kazran shouted.

"Yeah, as I say, lucky..." The Doctor smiled mischievously.

Kazran became entranced with the old video being projected on the wall again, until he snapped out of it. "Who are you people?!"

"Ghosts," I quipped.

"Of christmas past." The Doctor finished.

888

"Who are you?" Young Kazran asked, as he looked up from his desk to see us climbing in the window.

"I'm the Doctor, that's Nova, and Dylan, and we're your new babysitters." The Doctor grinned as he pointed at us hopped into the room.

The boy sniffled, but stopped crying. "Where's Mrs. Mantovani?"

I moved to sit next to him at his desk while the Doctor kept poking around the space, and Dylan stood behind me with his arms crossed, observing quietly. "Really crazy story, actually. There's no lottery-- but-- she won it anyway!"

Kazran seemed happier now, but still looked to all of us skeptically. "But Mrs. Mantovani's always my babysitter."

"Times change," The Doctor slammed his hands on the desk and peered in closely to the camera. "Wouldn't you say? See, Christmas Past."

"Who are you talking to?" Kazran asked.

"You," The Doctor was referring to the old Kazran who would be watching this video in the future, but either way it was the truth. "Now, your past is going to change. That means your memories will too. Bit scary, but you'll get the hang of it."

"So he's just changing this guy's memories? Just like that?" Dylan asked me quietly.

"No, we all are." I whispered.

888

"A little cramped in here, isn't it?" Dylan asked, who sat next to me and was struggling to fit in the tiny closet with his broad shoulders.

"Are there any face spiders in here?" Kazran worried, sitting on my other side.

The Doctor was next to Kazran, a string tied to his finger which was attached to his sonic screwdriver outside. "Nah, not at this time of night. They'll all be sleeping in your mattress. So, why are you so interested in fish?"

"Because they're scary."

The Doctor looked to me for a second before replying. "Good answer."

"What kind of tie is that?" Kazran pointed to his bowtie.