Chapter 55

April's POV
I awoke to a blinding light. Fumbling blindly with my covers, I wrestled them off my body and shielded my eyes. The curtains had been open all night – and the sun was giving me a rather bitter welcome to the world again.

I dragged myself out of bed, showered and brushed my teeth. I typed a quick text to Kayla, but she didn't reply. No wonder. I dressed and hesitated before opening the door an inch. I stuck my head out and pricked my ear – silence. What did you expect? Shouting and screaming? The smash of glass and crying?

I ended up eating breakfast alone; it seemed the rest of the house was silent after yesterday evening's events. There was no sound from upstairs or any signs of movement outside despite it being midday.

"April." I froze. That one beautiful voice I'd been seeking.

I made no move to speak, but my eyes raked him from head to toe to see if he was hurt. He looked rough, but he was functioning and didn't look like he had broken any bones. He jerked his head in the direction of the door, an indication for me to follow. I dropped my spoon into my unfinished bowl of cereal and followed as though in a trance.

We reached further out into the clearing before he turned and stared at me. I smiled weakly.

He didn't smile in response.

I shifted awkwardly on the spot, avoiding eye contact as I fretted for something to say. "Where were you?" I tried to sound unconcerned but it failed when my eyes met him.

"I told you, I had things to sort out." He explained patiently.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I made a little noise of approval. "I'm sorry I left so soon. That – was a dick move." Aiden spoke very quietly, his eyes trained intently on me, never once leaving my face.

"Please don't leave me again."

He smiled sadly. "I won't." Then, his expression changed.

"Why did you make me promise you April? Why did you put me in that position?" He turned away from me.

"You act on impulse and I didn't want things to get worse."

"Well, how did you know I would keep that promise? What if I snapped and killed that... that bastard." He spat. "You knew I could have flipped and turned right then. But you still put your trust in me. Why?"

"Because you're not a god damn monster, Aiden. Stop acting like one. You have control over yourself. So I trusted you."

"Well maybe you shouldn't."

"But I do." I countered, my fists tightening by my side as I glared up at him in incredulity; he was resorting back to his old ways. I took a step closer to him.

"Noah tried to kill you and Nina. How is that justifiable by any right?"

"You... You killed his brother, right?"

Aiden stiffened. He nodded. "And I know that I wouldn't forgive anyone if they did what I did. Regardless of my side of it, regardless of whether my hand was forced. I accept that and I'll live with the fact that I murdered someone. But I'll never expect to be forgiven for it. That sin will weight on my shoulders until I die."

"He tried to kill you first. If you didn't act in self-defence, he would have snapped your neck and revenge would probably just be taken on Noah's pack instead. It's an endless, vicious cycle where anger and revenge always wins, don't you see that?" I insisted. "Noah acted out of grief; and he suffered for it every day those 6 months. He's learnt, he's accepted the fact that what he did was unforgivable. But he had the guts to admit it us – he had the guts to say it to our face and deal with the consequences." I held my breath. "Surely, he deserves some respect for that?"