Sunday Dinner

It was Sunday, the first day I had off in a long time, and I was going to dinner with Jamie and his family. Unfortunately he didn't have the day off, so I basically had to stay home until his shift was over, doing nothing. Or I could swing by the precinct and see Jamie and Danny and maybe the commissioner. But that was a big maybe. He was probably busy, he is the police commissioner after all. I decided to go down to the precinct, but I felt sick so I went to the bathroom. I threw up for the 6th time in 4 days. I knew I had signs, so I took a pregnancy test. After 3 minutes, I checked it and there it was, 2 little pink lines. Deciding to go down to the precinct to visit Jamie and Danny, I dressed in a crop top, short shorts, and heels. I hid the gun that I carry for protection in my purse. Jamie convinced me to get a permit to protect myself when we first started dating. I threw on foundation and lipstick and left.

As soon as I stepped into the precinct Jamie ran up to me and gave a big bear hug. "Amari!! What are you doin' here?" I smiled and kissed him for a solid 10 seconds. "You visited me at work so I decided I'd visit you!" He kissed me and I heard a familiar voice in the background. "Alright guys calm it down on the PDA." I laughed. "Shut up Danny. You should see you and Linda. At like, anytime ever." He grumbled something like "Shush Ari" and got back to his partner. Jamie and I laughed and then I gave him one more peck when Renzulli came up and greeted us. "Jamie, who is this beautiful girl?" I laughed. "Renzulli, I get one haircut and you can't recognize me?" Realization painted his face and he pulled me into a hug. "Hey. It's not my fault I'm bad with faces. What're ya doin here?"
"I'm here to visit one of my boyfriends." Jamie had a smile on his face. "One of them?"
"I'm joking, Reagan." He put his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. "I sure hope so. Because you're my only girlfriend." I pushed his shoulder. "That's because they know who I am and what I did to poor Johnny in middle school." Danny and Renzulli shared confused looks and me and Jamie laughed. "Stop talking about your little inside joke, I feel left out." I laughed and heard a familiar voice. "Amari!!!" I saw Erin just before she grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. "Erin! It's been too long. How's Nicky?" She let go of the hug. "It definitely has. Nicky's great, she has a crush on some senior. Teenagers are gonna be the death of me." I smiled at her. "Wish I could relate. No kids over here. " Jamie jumped into the conversation. "Someday, Amari." I smiled and nodded at him, someday may have come sooner than he thought.

I put the red box that contained my surprise in my purse and headed to the car where Jamie was waiting for me. I got in the passenger side and turned on the air conditioner. Our way to the dinner was pretty loud, mostly because I was singing old Queen songs. I was pretty nervous about my surprise but that vanished the second I walked in and 3 kids ran up to me and yelled "Hi Aunt Amari!" I laughed and greeted Jack, Sean, and Nikki. "Hiya guys! Wow, you're all so big now! Nikki might even be taller than me someday." She laughed and we made our way to the table. I could smell something sweet, probably the desert. Everytime I come down for Sunday dinner they act like it's a holiday. It's super cute. As I sat down, I greeted Frank and Pops and sat down. "Guys, I definitely need to come down here more often, I missed most of you." Nikki smiled at me. "Most?" I laughed and nodded. "I definitely don't miss Detective Loud Mouth over here." Everyone laughed and Danny groaned. "Shut your girlfriend up Harvard." Jamie laughed and shook his head. "No can do Danny, she has a mind of her own." "Dang right I do." Danny gave me a strange look. "What! There are kids at the table, if you haven't already noticed." He rolled his eyes and​ got back to his mashed potatoes. Once we were finished with dinner, Jamie cleared his throat and stood up. "Guys, I have something very important to say." I looked at him with a confused face. "Well, when you're done, I do too." He returned the look. "Alright then. Amari, we've been dating for 4 years as of last week, and they have been the best 4 years of my life. I don't know why I didn't do this way earlier, but now I'm finally doing it. Amari Jane Wells, will you do me the honor of becoming a Reagan?" I was crying and smiling so hard. "Of course baby. Oh my god." I hugged him and everyone clapped. I heard Danny's boys chanting "Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss" I laughed and kissed him. After everyone settled down, I took the present out of my purse. "Alright guys, this is a gift from me to all of you, who wants to open it?" Nikki's hand shot up immediately. "Alright then, here ya go Nikki. Show it to everyone once you open it." She slowly undid the bow and closed her eyes to remove the top. When she took out the little test her eyes widened and she dropped it. As she bent down to pick it up, Jamie and Frank got a look at it. "I'm gonna be a dad?" I nodded with a giant smile and  he picked me up and hugged me. Erin stood up and looked at the test. She picked it up and showed it to the very confused other half of the table. Sean was still confused. "Aunt Amari, what is that?" "It's a pregnancy test kiddo. It means you're gonna have a cousin." His eyes grew wide and he smiled so widely I had to laugh. Erin hugged me quickly. "Let's hope for a girl, we don't have enough of those in this family. How far along are you?" I shrugged. "I dunno, I just found out today, but by my symptoms, I'm guessing that I'm at  around 4 weeks." She nodded and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Pops stood up. "Jeez guys, you're engaged and pregnant on the same day, I might have another heart attack." Everyone laughed. "Alright guys, this is very exciting, but who wants desert?"

"Oh Amariiiiiii." I stepped away from the young girl I was working on. My co-worker and best friend Paige called me. "Yes Paigey?" She grinned. "I see a ring that wasn't there last time I saw youuu." I laughed. "Well maybe a certain police officer put it on me." She was so excited she was jumping up and down. "Ohmygod congratulations!! Also, a little birdie told me that isn't the only surprise you have." I raised my eyebrow. "Since when did you have the time to talk to Linda?" She winked at me. "I have my ways. How far along are you?" I shrugged. "Dunno. I have an appointment end of this shift. Jamie is actually supposed to come by any minute now." I felt an arm snake around my waist. "What about Jamie?" I laughed. "I was just talking about my amazing fiance and father of my child." He turned me around and kissed me. "Alright Romeo, I still have 10 minutes and a little girl who has broken ribs. I'll be right out babe." He nodded and gave me a quick peck on the cheek. As I walked into the girls room. "Hey sweetheart. Did your pain get any better?" She shook her head. "Worse." I nodded. "Alright, I'm gonna take this, it's called and ultrasound machine, and I'm gonna look at what's going on okay? I need you to hold as still as possible." She nodded. As I ran the ultrasound across her ribs I saw a broken part of her rib that was dangerously close to her lungs. "Alright hun, there is a part of your rib that needs to be repaired with surgery. Do you mind telling me how this happened?" She nodded. "My ex was always abusive. Hitting me, punching me, slapping me. He was always drinking too. After I broke up with him he told me he would get me for it. I was so scared that I didn't leave home for a month. I finally left becuase I thought I was safe. But then he showed up to my job. He dragged me out and pulled me into his car. He drove into the woods and then he beat me with a baseball bat." She was crying. "Oh sweetheart. Are you comfortable telling that to a police officer?" She shook her head. "No, he's gonna find me and he's gonna do it again." I pet her hair. "No hun, I promise. As soon as they hear your story they're gonna arrest him. I promise. And the officer you're gonna speak to is my fiance. He's very nice. Would never hurt a fly." She nodded and mumbled "I guess." I stepped outside into the waiting room. "Hey Jamie? There's a girl, her name is Ana. She's claiming she was assaulted by her ex. I promised her she could talk to someone I trusted. Can you please talk to her and take the pictures you need before she goes in for surgery?" He nodded and walked into her bay. "Hey Ana, I'm Officer Reagan. Can you tell me what happened?" She nodded and told him the story. "Alright hun he's gotta take pictures of the injuries you got." She nodded and Jamie took the pictures he needed. I wheeled her down to surgery and came back to see Jamie. He hugged me. "Thanks babe. I'm sorry for dragging you into that I just sympathize with her." He raised his eyebrow. "I'm not going to ask about that right now. Let's go see our baby." He leaned down and kissed me.