47. Pretty Little Liar

8 years ago

8 years ago

"What do you think...diamonds, or the rubies?"

I turn my gaze away from the news channel as I scan Laurel standing there in her usual Black Siren attire, but only this time, she had a diamond and a ruby choker dangling around her neck. She switches the two of them back and forth in a playful manner as I narrow my eyes, trying to decide which looked best.

"Diamond for sure; it brings out your eyes," I grin, winking at her as I turn back towards the TV. She laughs before throwing the ruby choker to the side, putting the diamond one on before looking at herself in the mirror nearby.

I glance back over at her. "What are you getting ready for anyways?"

She keeps her eyes on herself in the mirror. "Nothing in particular..I just wanted to figure out which accessory I wanted to wear the next time we go out and do something."

My eyes turn back to the TV then as I watch a news lady talk about the latest bank robbery downtown. As I watch, Laurel turns and faces me once again, her facial expression changing slightly. "Raven, I never thanked you."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Thanked me?"

"For saving me three months ago," she continues on, and I knew that this was about to become sappy. "You brought me here and made me the person I am now; the best version of me. I'm glad you and Jay decided to take me in and help me. So thank you."

A very faint smile appears on my face as I stand, staring up and down at her. "A thank you is not necessary. I'm just glad to finally have a friend...Jay was starting to get on my nerves a little."

Laurel laughs as I do as well. At least, that was before her expression dulled. "About Jay...I meant to ask you something about him."

I cock my head to the side. "Ask me what?"

She looks hesitant. "Does it ever seem to you that he's...hiding something?"

I never really thought about the idea. I mean, of course at first when I met him he had that sort of vibe to him, but I just assumed that by now he was completely open with me. We had each other's back and I knew that I could go to him about anything.

However, hearing Laurel ask the simple question...it made me wonder.

"Like what?" I ask, biting my tongue slightly as I thought.

She shrugs. "It's nothing...pretend I didn't even ask."

"Are you hiding something?" I ask in return, not meaning to turn it around on her.

An odd look washes across her face in that moment, but it's quickly gone. "Of course not. I have nothing to hide. I tell you everything."

Instead of pursuing the conversation, I simply nod my head. The room is silent for a moment as I sit back down on the couch, Laurel going back to looking at herself in the mirror as well. As I laid there, I wondered if maybe she was onto something about Jay. It also made me wonder if she was hiding something herself...