~One~

A/N: Hello!! :D early update for this book because I'm currently out of ideas for anything else :p like I tend to do with my early chapters, this chapter is shorter than my usual length, so you won't be here for long :p I hope you enjoy it, loves <3

"No. I can't do it, Leah."

"Why not?" I narrowed my eyes even though I knew it couldn't be seen, "For fuck's sake, Heath, it's not that much overtime! I'll only be an extra hour!"

"Because I'm busy, Leah," he replied curtly, "and besides – Piper doesn't even like me."

"Well, maybe she will if you actually agree to spend time with her every now and then," I spat, "you're the one who agreed to come back into her life, Heath, so now you actually have to make the effort!"

"Yeah I know, Leah, but...can't you just ask Ashley?"

"She works even later than me, Heath!" I told him exasperatedly, "She has to work later than me, because I have to knock off early to pick up Piper, so I don't even get the full income! So someone has to earn it so we can pay our damn bills!"

Heath groaned. "Fuck, why couldn't you have just asked me to pay Child Support like a normal person?"

"Oh yeah, as if you'd actually pay it!" I scoffed, "God, Heath, please don't argue with me. You promised you'd get involved in Piper's life again, you fucking asshole, and I have to drop her off in literally 10 minutes, so I need to know that you'll be there to pick her up!"

"What the hell do I do? Just take her to my place for the hour?"

"Yes!"

"But Danica will be-"

"I don't care what Danica thinks, Heath. If she doesn't like it, then tell her to fuck off until I finish my overtime and come to collect Piper."

"I haven't even taken her to my place before, Leah!"

"Well, there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" I rolled my eyes, "Fucking hell, it's only for an hour! It'll whizz by before you know it!"

Heath let out a long sigh, and was silent for such a long time that for a moment I honestly thought he'd hung up on me.

"Alright. Fine," he finally grumbled, "I'll take her, Leah. But only for the hour. I have to study."

"Thank you," I sighed in both relief and exasperation, "thank you, Heath."

"What time do I pick her up? 4:30?"

"No!" I exclaimed, "3:30, Heath! You pick her up at 3:30! No later than 3:45!"

"Alright, alright," he sounded like he was rolling his eyes, "OK, Leah, I'll be there. I promise."

"You'd fucking better," I told him warningly, "don't you dare make her wait for you."

"Sure thing, Leah. So you'll be at mine by 4:30, I guess?"

"Well, I'll actually be knocking off at 4:30, so more like ten to five or something," I replied, "is that OK with you?" I questioned him sarcastically.

Heath sighed. "Alright, Leah. Fine."

"Good," I said, "OK – I'll see you and Piper later today."

"Yeah," he sighed again, "bye, Leah."

"Goodbye, Heath," I rolled my eyes and hung up on him before shoving my phone back in my pocket irritably, "Jesus..."

"La la la la la la la la la la!" I heard my daughter singing at the top of her voice in the living room, "La la la la la la la la la la! La la la la la la la la la la! La la la la la la la la la la, she's a good giiiirrl!"