2

All we did was dance. 

I twirled around and around, passing between people as each song played. My father dancing with me the way he taught me when I was young. My mother spinning me around, laughing with me. My brother flaunted our dance to the crowd, lifting me up, spinning me around, bending me toward the floor. 

And Peter and I danced, too. He twirled me around and brought me close to his chest, his chin resting on top of my head. 

The dance floor died down a little as the food was presented to the guests. I had taken a break to eat a slice of cake. It was my birthday after all. 

A slow song came on and a few couples started to dance. And then Peter came over to me, bowing low and holding out a hand. My mother smiled and nudged me forward, but my father's mouth remained a straight line. 

I took his hand and he lifted me out of my seat. I took one last glance at my family and saw my father lean over and say something to my mother. She shook her head and said something in reply, but I was too far away to hear. 

Peter rested a hand on my waist and held my other on out. "What are you doing?" I asked as the song began. He smiled at me. 

"You deserve one proper dance, Princess."

And so, we danced. 

We spun around and around, my feet following his own. "I thought you couldn't ballroom dance," I said as we circled around. Peter smiled at me and replied, "I know how much you love this dance, so I learned it."

I smiled and he leaned forward and I leaned, and we kissed. 

He dipped me down as we kissed and I started laughing. When he pulled me back up he whispered in my ear, "I love you, Raven Ebony." 

"I love you, too Peter Young," I said. I looked into his deep, green eyes and played with his soft hair. My parents promised I could marry anyone I wanted, as long as he treated me right. "One day, I want to marry you," I whispered in his ear as we resumed dancing. 

"I promise I'll ask as soon as I get you a ring half as beautiful as you," he whispered back. 

The song ended and we sat back down and ate cake while my brother asked my opinion on the girls waiting to dance. It was a perfect evening, a perfect birthday. 

Maybe that's why it had to end.