Event Nine: Carnivorous Carnival, Part Two

"There you are, Lucius. I've been wondering where you've been."

Lucius Malfoy stood there, hands held behind his back, the only indication he had heard his wife a curt nod of his head. Even without his wand, he cut quite an imposing figure. Like Draco, he was dressed in all black. His tie, though, was a light green, the perfect accessory to his wife's outfit and the ribbon that kept his blond hair from his face.

Even though Hermione had met with Narcissa a few times since she had befriended Draco, this was the first time she had seen Lucius since the end of the War. And before the War, all her encounters with him had been less than pleasant, to say the least. If she were honest, they were downright horrific. She had no idea what she was supposed to do.

Draco stepped forward. "Father, I would like to re-introduce you to Hermione Granger."

Lucius did not crack a smile, but he did acknowledge her. Stiffly holding out his hand to her, he waited for her to take it. And she did. Much to her disbelief his hand was not ice cold, but as warm as any other human being's.

"Good evening, Miss Granger. My son informs me that your acceptance of his offer of work is quite the coup for our company."

"Oh, well, I haven't actually accepted...Mr. Malfoy."

"Yet," Draco and Lucius said, simultaneously. Hermione looked over at Draco, unable to keep the smirk from her lips until she saw Lucius glance between her and Draco. After that smiling was no longer an issue.

"We've kept you two here long enough. Why don't you go in? We'll join you later," Narcissa said, looking quite pleased at the brief encounter.

Draco took Hermione by the elbow and bowed his head to his parents and aunt. The action was returned by his father. "Miss Granger. Thank you for joining us this evening."

As Draco led her away, Hermione could only think of what had just happened. Civility from Lucius Malfoy. What was the world coming to? Hermione glanced over her shoulder, checking to see if she had imagined the whole thing. But Lucius was still there, receiving a tiny peck on his cheek from a glowing Narcissa.

Draco stopped at the double doors. "Are you sure you want to go in there?"

"Huh?" She was still too confused by her encounter with Lucius to follow Draco's train of thought. "Why wouldn't I?"

"Considering you were tortured in there, you might not have fond memories of this room."

Oh. That.

Well, now that he mentioned it, no, she did not want to go in there. But this was one of those times where it was better to listen to reason than the chimaeras of the mind. Raising her chin and squaring her shoulders, Hermione breathed in deeply. She laughed airily, convincing herself that this was not a big deal. "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?"

Malfoy raised one of his pale brows. "Wrong. It could cripple you, torment you, leave you insane, or make you wet your pants. And that's not even mentioning the chro-"

Hermione held up her hands, "Merlin, you're morbid. It's just a muggle way of saying that I should face my fears."

"Wrong again. That was said by a dark wizard who, if I'm not mistaken ended his life in the throes of madness."

Interesting, but inconsequential.

"The point I'm trying to make is that I can't live my life in fear. We're going in there."

"And the point I'm trying to make is you don't need to pretend to be brave with me. If you don't want to go in, just say the word and we'll go someplace else."