Chapter Thirty Five (Final Chapter)

<><><><><><>

Dedication: LustEnvy for reading the Wattpad version and buying the published version. Thank you! <3

<><><><><><><><>

Dry.

Everything felt dry. Slowly, I parted my lips. I attempted to talk but no sound came out. My eyelids felt like they were crusted together.

"I think she's awake," I heard a voice say.

"Hayley?"

My other senses slowly were coming back but I felt extremely groggy and disorientated.

Dry. Stiff. Painful.

An unearthly sound filled the room. It didn't take me long to realize that the sound was coming from me. My eyes fluttered open and clear, crystal blue eyes met mine. I squinted, trying to comprehend where I was. The bare white walls surrounding me were unfamiliar. Fortunately, the boy in front of me was.

"Hales," he murmured, his hand cupping my cheek. His thumb tentatively stroked my cheek, and I automatically leaned into it.

"Water," I mouthed, my voice inaudible. Somehow he understood me and filled the empty plastic cup beside me. The cool liquid ran down my throat easily. I croakily cleared my throat a couple times. It felt like I hadn't spoken for months.

My entire body felt stiff and rigid. My stomach was tense and sore. Slowly, I moved my hands underneath the sheet laid over me. I was wrapped in a bandage.

Slowly, images started to flood my brain. Colin stood stock-still as he waited for me to understand what was happening. Ameika was hovering uneasily behind him, furiously biting her nails. Jeremy was passed out in a position that I'd guess would be extremely uncomfortable.

Mr. Johnston. Imogen. The entire thing felt like a dream. Surely, it couldn't be real. Those things just didn't happen. Surely this entire ordeal has just been a sick joke of some sort. I could not be here in hospital after being stabbed by my best friend. It just couldn't be real.

"Did it really happen?" I whispered, staring into Colin's unblinking gaze. His upper lip was split, but the cut looked like it was healing. He had a dark bruise underneath his left eye and his jaw seemed slightly swollen. Other than those obvious injuries, he appeared to be fine.

Slowly, he nodded.

I squeezed my eyes close, images of that night bombarding my brain. A shiver ran down my spine as I remembered the things Mr. Johnston said to me. He killed my father. After such a long time wondering who could possibly have done this to me, it was all answered. Some drug-dealing psychopath. I always wanted closure and now I had it. It wasn't exactly what I had had in mind.

"You're okay now," Colin murmured to me. His thumb ran across my dry lip. He tilted my head back so that I was looking into his eyes. "I won't ever let anyone hurt you again."

"He killed my father."

"I know."

"He tried to kill me. Again."

"I know. He can't hurt you anymore, Hayley. He's locked up."

My brain turned blank. I stared at Colin for a moment. "What?"

"Same with his psycho bitch girlfriend," Ameika spat. I jumped a little, having forgotten she was there at all. Pain seared through my abdomen and I sucked in a startled breath.

"You okay?" Colin asked instantly. I waved him off lethargically.

The door to my room opening caused my head to whip to the side. Anthony entered, carrying a cup of coffee. He looked as exhausted as I felt. He cracked me a lopsided smile.