Chapter 13: Fullmetal vs. Flame

Al aged 14, Ed and Van aged 15.
Van POV:
Ed sighs.

"Well, we're here."

"Yup." Al answers Ed and his shoulders droop. "What's the matter?" Al proceeds to ask.

"What do you think is the matter? Once again I'll have to listen to the colonel's sarcasm, telling me how I screwed up. "Struck out on the Philosopher's Stone again, huh? How am I supposed to keep funding this goose chase? Money doesn't grow on trees their chief. Eh? Where'd you run off too? Oh wait, there you are. I couldn't see you there beyond my paperwork. Seeing as how you're so short and all. Hahahaha." I know. We're already here so I might as well get the verbal abuse over with." Ed imitates and as I walk by through the gates and punch him in the back of the head.

"Hey!! What was that for?!"

'Whoops, didn't mean too.' I sign sarcastically and walk through the doors.

I hear a dog bark as I'm about to walk through the door and when I do and I see the tiny little dog in Kain's arms, I run over as fast as I can and press my face against it while I pull it from Kain's arms.

'Isn't it just the cutest thing?!?' I sign at Ed who ignores me on purpose.

Suddenly there's a meow that echoes from Al's suit and I almost faint as I realize it's a cat. Al has always had a soft spot for cats.

Cuteness overload. It's to much for me.

We exit the room to talk to Al about the cat he's harbouring in his armour but I mostly just want to hold it.

"Don't forget about your report." Hawkeye says as I'm about to walk out the door. I turn to look at her, smile and nod.

I see the cat and practically keel over. I snatch it into my arms and want to scream but I know I can't. Cats are my absolute favourite animal.

'Can we keep it? Pleaaaaase???'

Ed shakes his head 'no' and I look down so he doesn't see that I look upset. I know why we can't have one and he has to tell both Al and I, "no". I feel bad for making him do that.

He puts his hand on my back and pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry guys."

'Don't worry Ed, we understand.' I sign and then smile.

The memory of Ed bringing home a stray cat hits me. And it hurts. It hurt even more when mom said no to keeping it. But just as I understood why she said no then, I understand why Ed said no now.

I walk to Mustangs office with Ed and we listen to him talk about what happened in Liore but I basically dose off because of how bored I am. Mustang drones on in his snide, sarcastic voice about all the fuss we caused. Mustang mentions something about Siren and I see Ed blush. I almost break down laughing right then and there. Suddenly, their voices are serious and I try to calm them both down. I force them both to look at me.

'Mustang, you need to stop with your snide little comments and Ed, stop taking everything so seriously. Yes, we still have things we need to do but don't forget that we're still a part of the military either way.' I sign and Ed walks out after bowing.

'Mustang, I have a question. Does the name Marcoh ring any bells?'

He answers me with a straight face, he usually laughs when he's around me which leads me to believe that he's lying.

"It doesn't sound familiar but I'll check on it."

Suddenly Riza walks in, tells us that we have company and with just about no time to spare, there's military personal rushing in.

"What brings me this pleasant surprise?" Mustang asks as he and I salute at the same time.

"As of today, we'll be taking over this east HQ as our temporary central command." Brigadier General Grand answers.

"May I ask what's wrong with the one in Central, sir?"

I hear laughing coming through the doorway and the the Fuhrer walks in.

"I know Mustang, I asked the same thing. Sorry for the hassle. Everybody at ease now." He says while smiling.

They continue talking but the only thing I can focus on is his secretary. She looks just like my mom did. Tears build up at my eyes but I suck it up.

1 hour later:
I sit in the cafeteria with Ed and Hughes walks up and shows us a picture of Elicia.

'She's so big now!' I sign.

"I know, she can even ride a tricycle now!!"

I hear Hughes almost say something that people aren't supposed to know and I zone out while they talk about The Philosophers Stone until a shadow appears over us and I look up to find the Brigadier General. He goes on to explain that Marco is a deserter. (If you're reading this then you've probably watched the show so I shouldn't have to explain Marco's story to you:)

We walk to the library and search for anything we can find on Marco but there's nothing. Suddenly Hughes walks in.

"Hey guys, I forgot to mention something earlier, what with the picture and a-"

Ed glares and says, "Get to the point!"

Hughes jumps back. "Fine, I will. (Rude little *cough*)" he says under his breath and then goes on.

"As I was saying, do to conditions, your assessments will be held here Ed and Van."

"Assessments?"
'Assessments?' Ed says and I sign.

"You mean to renew their state alchemy certification?" Al asks and then it dawns on Ed and I.

I decide to do a written assessment while Ed decides to go up against the colonel.

I watch from the side lines as Ed and Mustang go head to head in their battle. He ended up winning but Mustang hesitated and the look on his face afterwards... there's something wrong.

He gives me a smile before cleaning the battle ground with Ed.