Ch. 11: Ignoring the Unsaid

Kali was busy scrawling a letter to her mom, the artisan sandwich she'd chosen for lunch completely ignored next to her. I watched the sharp motions of the pen as it glided across the paper, thrilled to be doing its job so well. How much more could she possibly write? Two sheets, the lines filled, were stacked under the fresh one.

The room was sparsely full, a few classmates finishing up the rest of their lunch several chairs down and a group of vampires lounging at the tables in the back. It was ridiculous how even when they weren't trying, they still managed to look like cover models ready for a shoot. I could feel their eyes pass over me now and again as they observed the room and while I still felt a prickle of awareness, I managed to avoid looking directly in their direction. A good sign I was finally getting used to being around them.

"They'll let you send that?" I finally asked, deciding to break the silence as I took the last bite of my sandwich. Claire had decided to be a smartass in A Pet's Purpose and been forced to stay behind as a result, leaving me without a conversation buddy. The professor probably just wanted to prove herself in front of the vampires, although they'd laughed the most at Claire's antics.

"Mmm-hmm," She confirmed, one last flick of her pen letting me know she was done for now. "I asked around and Renee said as long as I don't put a return address, Madam Moreau will have it mailed out for me. They're being extra careful but don't want to cut off all contact with our parents. I'm sure Mom's worried by now and I just want to let her know I'm okay."

"Didn't you tell her you were leaving?" It had never occurred to me that Kali had dodged the awkward conversation as I'd almost done with my mom. Her personality just didn't fit that type of profile and her mother had to be a hell of a lot better than mine was. A rabid raccoon could be a better role model, honestly.

"Um, well." She shuffled around in her seat nervously. "I kinda, sorta wrote her a note the day I left telling her where I was going. I wanted to do it in person but every time I looked at her face, I chickened out. I couldn't find the right words to tell her, you know? She's got nothing against vampires. I just know she would have argued with me about giving up my life for her. Which I'm not."

"Jesus, Kali." I rubbed my forehead with a sigh. "My mom isn't going to win the best parent of the year award anytime soon but I still let her know I'd be leaving. Total shit show, by the way, but it was the right thing to do."

River hadn't said much about her the few times I'd managed to get ahold of him and I got the impression she was giving him the cold shoulder. More than likely because she knew he'd support me over her any day. Or it might have had something to do with both her children doing the exact opposite of what she told them to. Either way, her silence was golden and I lapped it up.

"I don't think I've ever heard you talk about your mom," She observed. I knew she was trying to distract me and while I didn't mind moving on to a different subject, I didn't want it to be about that. How she handled her affairs was her business. The same way with mine. I didn't need the headache, anyways.

"We don't exactly see eye to eye on most things. No offense but I'd rather not talk about it right now, okay?"

"Sure thing. I better get this to Madam Moreau before class starts, anyways." Kali swung her bag over a shoulder, picked up the pieces of paper, and was just about to walk off when I stopped her.

"What about your sandwich?" I pointed to where it still sat untouched on the plate. "You haven't eaten anything yet."

"I'm not hungry. I'll be okay until dinner."

"But we have to donate bloo-" I started saying before noticing she was already gone. "Never mind, then."

⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊🌸⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊