twenty-four | please, don't do this to me

I didn't know what Hailee was planning but I knew that it wasn't going to be good because when she entered the dark room-for photographers who developed film-I noticed Matt in the corner of my eye clenching his fists at the sight.

I hated the smell of what was in the chemicals in the dark room that filled up the entire place so I decided to wait outside, leaning against the wall as I drummed my fingers on my pink leather jacket, yawning in the process.

The corridor was silent and it was because almost everyone was in the cafeteria, hanging around like ghosts. There were a few people hanging around the lockers and it was because they were either getting something or they were making their way to the janitor's closet. So typical.

I looked to the side and sighed, my eyes focusing on two people who was walking slowly down the corridor. I shot up and regained my composure, my breath hitching at my throat as I rolled my shoulders back whilst the pair came into view in the corner of my eyes.

As the stiletto's neared me, I cocked an eyebrow at Ruby who delivered a mischievous grin in my direction only to earn a middle finger in hers. My eyes -without permission- slid to Ashton who eyed my finger before making eye contact with me, hope sparking in those blue orbs of his as I only scoffed and moved my middle finger in his direction.

If he thought that he could play me and get away with me, he thought absolutely fucking wrong.

"Ah, that's not very ladylike," Ruby said, shaking her head amusedly as she came to a stand in front of me, Ashton standing to the side with a blank expression. My stomach churned at the thought that now he was protecting her.

"I didn't say that I was ladylike," I retorted, chuckling humourlessly.

Ruby frowned immediately, her jaw clenching as she took a small step forward as if to intimidate me. I squared up to her size and clenched my fists at my sides, ready to swing if need be.

Before I could speak up, Ashton swung his arms around Ruby's shoulders, my eyes widening an inch at the gesture as he shot me a blank look. My ice heart slightly cracked at the sight as he rolled his eyes in annoyance before guiding the smirking Ruby away.

God, if only you knew how much strength I needed to resist the urge to punch her out of his arms.

Anger bubbled within the pits of my stomach and jealous spread in my chest as my heart ached at their retreating backs.

"Why?!" I called out, my voice shaking as my hands clung to my pants, the pair never hesitating in their steps as they walked away. I knew damn well they heard me. He heard me. I bit my lips nervously as a lump rose in my throat, tears stinging my eyes as my knees gave in and I collapsed to the floor, my chest heaving heavily. I managed to let out a whisper, "please, don't do this to me. Ashton, please, I'm sorry for whatever I had done to you."

It was my first time to ever apologise but there was no wind to carry my words to him. None at all.

I heard the door crack open and I was too weak, no, exhausted to even get up and plaster on a blank façade. A few gasps left my friends' mouths as I slightly looked up to find Tori quickly bending down to me, taking my hand into hers before she gestured to the others to assist her.

"What happened?" Jiao asked carefully, her brown eyes wandering around my skin to see if I had been hurt. "Ruby didn't hurt you, did she?"