01: Wang Princess

The third Friday of the month meant two things for Liandra

The third Friday of the month meant two things for Liandra. Aside from being excused from all her tasks both in the school publication and her part time job, it was also the day she has to go to her family's home and have dinner with her parents. If she's fortunate enough, with her brother too.

It was almost two months since she last saw Jacob and she misses him a lot. If she can only transfer to his school, maybe it would be easier for her—less expectations, more freedom. But she had to attend this private all-girl Catholic school for her parents' peace of mind. She was too precious—they say—too innocent, and is now the only hope of their family's legacy.

Her parents have already given up in convincing her brother to be the sole heir of their multi-million company. He's too invested in his sport and Lian could see how happy her brother is in reaching his true dreams. If it meant sacrificing her independence and aspirations in life, then so be it.

Besides, it's not like she's not used to this. Ever since their father told her about both of them transferring here in Byeoljari three years ago to study, she's been attending Saint Catherine's. Even the way she was brought up, she had to act as a proper lady and strictly follow her mother's rules.

This is her life and she knew changes would only bring complications that she definitely won't be able to handle. She will just go with the flow just like what she had been doing for the entire eighteen years of her life.

"I'm so sorry Lian, you should've started eating without me!"

She looked up from the manuscript she's reading and smiled at her best friend, Rylie.

"It's okay Ry. I'm trying to finish this before dismissal too," she brought the said papers up for her friend to see before putting it back inside her backpack.

Rylie looked at her skeptically while taking a seat across her. "I don't get why you have to read all the novels before making book covers for them. Aren't the author's ideas enough?"

She silently chuckled. This debate had been going on for nearly a year now, since she applied as a part-time graphic artist in this local publishing company near the county proper. Rylie would always tell her how reading those manuscripts only takes the time she could spend sleeping and taking a break from school works.

"You already know why, but for the sake of answering; let's say in my line of work, the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' doesn't apply. Readers definitely judge a book by its cover. I mean, it's the first thing they see." She shrugged, pulling the lunch tray—that has been waiting on the side of their table—in front of her.

"So... has your brother called you yet?," Rylie opened a new topic once they started eating.

She instantly felt dismay, "nope." She uttered, trying her best not to show how worried she felt. "Well, what do we expect? Jacob is too stubborn and the guy's ego is the size of Namsan Tower. I'm just gonna wait 'til he lowers his pride."