Chapter Twelve

I made it back to the office, happy to spend my lunch break with my best friend.

"Ky" A voice from behind caught me off guard.

"Hey Marie, how can I help?"

"Can you please place these on Marcus's desk" she gestured to the pile of papers infront of her.

"Sure thing" I smiled, placing my belongings onto my desk and retrieving the pile.

I made my way to his office, nudging the door open with my foot.

My heart stopped as the papers flew out of my hands.

"I'm sorry -- so sorry Marcus". I breathed out, heat travelling to my cheeks.

"You have a habit of barging in here and dropping things Miss Kylie" he smirked, amused at my reaction.

"Im so sorry, I wasn't aware you had made it back to the office".

I knelt down and started to collect the papers scattered over the floor, as two feet made an appearance before me.

"I will help" he whispered, kneeling down beside me.

I could only muster a nod in return, the close proximity making my heart pound out of my chest.

Why does he have this effect on me?

We managed to pick up all the papers and before I could leave the office, I was brought back when Marcus spoke. "While you are here, I need you to sit in on an extremely important meeting in 10". He paused "I need to settle this deal for the purchase of land in a prime spot in Brisbane, the owner hasn't nudged on any offers from our competition".

"Yeah thats fine, do you need me to do anything beforehand?" I questioned.

"If you could please grab some refreshments for three and make the room presentable. I will meet you in the conference room on floor 6 shortly".

I nodded in return and rushed out to set the refreshments.

I stood back, happy with what I had accomplished in 10 minutes. Any moment now and Marcus will arrive.

On que, the man himself waltzed into the room.

I stole a glance and approved of his attire. A full suit and tie tailored to his body, complimenting every curve and muscle.

I looked up and into his eyes, shocked when Marcus had indeed caught me gawking. A massive grin plastered on his face as he made his way to the end of the table.

"This seat is for you". He gestured to the seat beside himself.

I took a seat, thankful that I could tame my legs from buckling beneathe me.

A quick knock broke the silence as a older man walked into the room.

I would guess early 50s, wealth and a sense of snobbiness radiating off of him.

"Mr King" Marcus acknowleged with a shake of hands.

"Mr McNelly and--?" Mr King spoke directing his attention towards me.

"Ar sorry" I paused, standing up and greeting our client.  "Kylie Montgomery, it's a pleasure to make your aquantence Mr King".

Sticking my hand out to shake, I was taken aback when Mr King had placed a small kiss on the back of my hand.

"The pleasure is all mine, please call me John" he spoke with a wink.

Why are men with money so cocky?

I returned a polite smile before a cough resonated throughout the room.

"Excuse me, if you both don't mind, we shall start". Marcus spoke sourly.

"Mr McKinley -- I have a proposition for you" he paused eyeing us both down. "Lets cut to the chase, I will take your offer on one condition".

We both straightened in our seat, surprised John would nudge on his block of land.

"I'll take your offer and a date with your assistant".

No, no.

My heart dropped, this man was twice my age. I wasn't the slightest bit interested in dating him.

I glanced over at Marcus trying to read his hard expression.

"I'm sorry Mr King -- Kylie is not in the deal".

I let out the breath I was holding, surprised he hadn't sold me out.

"Well if you both would excuse me, I have to get to another meeting" he spat out  disapprovingly.

Why on earth would it be so important to have a date with me? I'm a nobody. And why didn't Marcus accept the offer?

John walked up and handed me his business card before exiting the room. "If you or your boss change your mind, here is my number -- call me".

Before I could question Marcus. He had stormed out of the room, leaving me in silence.