Chapter One: Start Over

Bloom
The Paper Kites
_____________________________

Maybe it was the way he looked at her when nobody was paying attention, or the way he smiled at her when he was drunk, she didn't know. But what she did know was that he made her mind stop thinking, and her insides turn to mush. Yes, she hated his guts, but he was her soulmate. Sirius Black was a player, but that didn't seem to stop her heart from beating a bit faster every time he looked at her.

"Who does he think he is?" She asked Lily, one of her roommates.

"I'm not sure. But does he know you're soulmates?" Lily had inquired.

"Nope. In fact, I mentioned you to him, and he looked at me like there was something wrong with me, and asked me who the bloody hell I was talking about!" Marlene interjected, suddenly happy.

"You stay out of this, Marlene. We all know that you think he's attractive as all get out, and that he wants you, when he really doesn't." Alice snapped, her normally smiling face full of annoyance.

Marlene gasped, running out the door, and slamming it. Alice looked at Kara, smiling at her sadly. Kara sighed, grateful for her friends. She closed her trunk, glad that classes started the next morning. She leaned against the window of the train, continuing to be oblivious to the way her heart felt at every mention of his name.

"Maybe he won't be as much of an arse as normal. I mean now that you're trying out for the Quidditch team, and spending more time with Remus, maybe he'll be nicer?" Alice offered, shrugging her shoulders.

"Possibly." Kara sighed again, completely unaware of the situation going on over on the other end of the train.

*****

Sirius Black paced the train car, one hand in his dark, black hair, the other grasping tightly onto the red velvet box in his hand. Remus had sat him down the night before, and given him a lecture on how one was supposed to treat ones soulmate. Earlier that morning Sirius had searched through his trunk and found the small velvet box Mrs. Potter had given him when he had told her his soulmate was a muggleborn.

"Calm down, mate. Kara will love it." James shook his head, playing with his golden snitch.

"I'm not so sure about that, Prongs. She hates his bloody guts!" Remus sighed, briefly looking up from his novel.

"Wow, Moony. Way to make a guy feel better." Sirius glared at his friend, his grip on the box loosening.

"I'm just being honest! You've treated her horribly since you found out!" Remus snapped, suddenly defensive of his other friend.

"It's not like Lily has been exactly nice to James!" Sirius argued, his posture tense.

"That's different! She knew, and she accepted it. We made an agreement that if neither of us wanted a relationship with the other by the time we graduated then we'd go our separate ways." James laughed, his mind thinking of his own soulmate.

"Exactly. Sirius, you don't really make an effort with her, not to mention the fact that you haven't told Marlene that you aren't interested, just yet. She's probably been telling Kara that you do not, and will not ever love her." Remus closed his book, and leaned back.

"How would you know?" Sirius asked, throwing his hands up in frustration.

"She told me! She told me everything about you and Marlene! She said to me and I quote 'Marlene said that she and Sirius are closer than I ever will be with any living creature on the planet.' She was crying Sirius! Sobbing even!" Remus yelled, getting up and crossing his arms.