26 • First Sight

It had been a little over three days since Eva's little spat with Terrence but she'd still managed to avoid him

When it came to Anna, Riley, Jessalyn and the three boys whose names she didn't know yet, however, there was no such luck.

And whenever Eva had met Jess's eyes, the girl simply looked away. She never took part in tormenting Eva along with her friends, but she did nothing to stop it either.

Eva didn't know why she always looked at Jessalyn when the group cornered her. It was as if she expected something... anything. But a part of her also knew she didn't deserve aid; how many times had Jessalyn tried befriending her? And hadn't Eva pushed her away cruelly each and every time?

She blinked, pulling herself out of her thoughts and focusing instead on her surroundings as she sat in Home Econ class.

Mrs Lenora had told them that most of junior year would cover the syllabus relating to food, cooking and home management. Finances, social services, and the rest of the syllabus was to be done in senior year.

Eva found herself actually smiling — that too, at something related to academics. Anything related to food and cooking she'd do with a content heart.

    Maybe school would become an escape from the hell that was home, rather than an extension of it.

“Can we make red velvet?” a girl from the back asked excitedly.

The teacher grinned, but shook her head anyways. “Sorry, we don’t start off the year by giving you guys projects that are usually of a more experienced nature.”

“So we’ll be doing the basics?” someone else asked.

Mrs Lenora nodded. “We’ll start off with the basics like making the standard dough for bread and cake, and from thereon we can learn the fun stuff like using those doughs to make pizza and red velvet, or whatever type of bread and cake you prefer!”

Eva thought she’d truly found heaven. If they were going to start with basics, she was far too experienced than these students. The mere idea of her being more knowledgeable and better at something than all these other kids made her grin so wide that Mrs Lenora actually blinked thrice before smiling at Eva’s reaction herself.

“I’m glad you seem to like the class, Miss Carter,” the teacher said in a pleased manner but all it did was wipe off the grin from Eva’s face.

Because it didn’t matter that she was here, in Home Econ, about to do something she was passionate of. It would never be an escape.