Chapter 22

Khloe's POV:

I didn't want to open my eyes when I first woke up.

I was so comfortable.

This bed was probably the most comfortable thing I had ever slept on.

My mind groggily recalled what happened last night.

The nightmare I had and the events following it.

I forced my eyes open once I remembered what happened with Master.

Sure enough, I was still lying beside him, my head practically laying on his arm, almost pressing against his chest. His other arm was still around me, pressed against my upper back. I could even feel his chin barely resting on the top of my head.

This was... weird.

Usually, in such a position, I would be scared, but I was almost feeling the complete opposite. Safe almost, like nothing was going to happen to me.

I even felt comforted. I didn't even have another nightmare last night after this happened.

After what he said to me last night, I guess it was understandable why I was feeling like this. He just let me cry. He oddly didn't ask any questions, or yell at me for anything, even though I did so many things wrong last night...

I let out a quiet sigh, letting myself relax again. I kind of wanted to embrace this feeling while it lasted, knowing that it might not happen again once he wakes up.

I found myself focusing on his heartbeat and the barely noticeable rise and fall of his chest.

His heartbeat was odd. It was very different from mine. It was faint,  ghostly almost.

I guess everything about Vampires was odd to me.

"How are you feeling?"

I'm not sure what surprised me more, unexpectedly hearing his voice or his question. 

Oh no... I didn't wake him up, did I?

I quickly disregarded that, thinking that he probably would have yelled at me already if I did.

"Um... I'm fine." I responded quietly,  deciding not to look up to meet his gaze.

A shudder ran down my spine as his hand trailed down my back and to my injured hip.

"Does it still hurt?" He asked, pressing against it lightly.

It didn't necessarily hurt, but it was definitely uncomfortable. Whatever he put on it last night seemed to have done its job.

"It's just a little sore," I responded, realizing only then that my fingers had been mindlessly toying with the soft fabric of his shirt.

I pulled my hands against me as soon as I noticed.

Master hummed.

"That's good," He began, pushing himself into a sitting position beside me, making me sit up on my elbow. "I'll take another look at it after I get back."

I immediately noticed a difference with the lack on his body next to mine.

I didn't like it.

"Where are you going?" I asked, not really wanting him to leave me here alone. 

He looked down at me like the answer was obvious.

"Breakfast."

Oh... It was obvious.

"I'll leave you here and order you something when I get back. The last thing I need is for you and Xander to be in the same place." He finished as he got off the bed.