17 ↝ girly talks & mixed feelings

Mackenzie Ziegler
25 June 2017

•••

Maddie and I lay our towels out on the sand, fanning our faces as we do so. It's really hot today, and despite being in the sun pretty much all of my days here I still don't have a tan. Great. Time to enjoy this ridiculous heat for a few hours in return for nice skin– oh I miss the days when I couldn't care less.

Giggling, Maddie hops on her towel, claiming that the sand is hot on her feet. I laugh.

"You looked like a lil froggie doing that." I say, grinning at her. She raises an eyebrow, face filling with amusement.

"Lil froggie?" She mimics, grinning. "What sort of an insult was that?"

"A good one." I wink, before lying down and pulling my sunglasses off my forehead. Self conscious, I tug my bottoms down and make sure I'm not spilling in the front of the bikini. Maddie looks at me.

"Why are you so self conscious? Like, you're literally beautiful." She starts, and I laugh.

"Funny joke."

"It's not meant to be a joke Kenz."

"HAHAHAH–" I start to yell, but she cuts me off.

"If you're not beautiful, why is Johnny up there staring at you?" She reasons, and as I glance over slowly I realize he is. Blushing deeply, I collapse back on my towel with my heart beating in my chest.

"I don't freaking know Maddie! He doesn't like me anymore, soooo..."

"Of course he does!" She laughs.

"Why would he? I was an absolute dick for messing around with Hayden, and anyway, I'm not beautiful!" I half yell, and she shrinks back with a hurt expression on her face. 

"I'm sorry!" I start, instantly remorseful for yelling at her. "I just don't know what I want anymore... I was so not ready for a relationship with Hayden, and I might not be ready for one with Johnny either. I'm just so confused."

"Johnny. I'm pretty sure you want Johnny." Maddie smiles. Without even meaning to, I smile back instead of protesting.

"Aha! You do!" She grins, poking my now red cheeks.

"Maddie, I've liked him since I was twelve years old. I think I've worked that out by now." I state matter of factly. "It's whether we're ready for a relationship."⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

"Yet another reason why you're perfect for eachother." Maddie grins, ignoring my last statement. You've both liked eachother for yearrrrrs."

"He has not, liar!" I say, poking her nose and referring to pinocchio.

"Has too!"

"Has not!"

"Okay, name one example of when he hasn't been there for you." She says condescendingly, expecting me to run in to trouble.

"Oh I have plenty." I argue, and she raises her eyebrows again.

"Go on..."

"When he ditched me for Nadia on one of the first parties we ever threw." I throw at her.

"Did that even happen? Like I swear you just made that up." Maddie giggles, and I frown up at her.

"Of course it did! Ask him later!" I reason, and she shakes her head disapprovingly.

"Tut tut." She says, acting like the queen of freaking England all of a sudden. "Didn't anybody ever tell you it's not good to lie?"

I snort unattractively. "Didn't anybody ever tell you to take your nose out of other peoples business?"

She laughs, and before we know it it's turned into a gigglefest. I bite my lip in an attempt to restrain myself, but it doesn't work. Before I know it, a, I'm laughing so hard it's silent, b, tears are streaming down my face, and c, my stomach hurts so bad; proving that laughter is the best medicine.

"The way..." Maddie starts, breathless and gasping from laughter, "that you said it, sounded so bitchy."

"Oh god, that was funny." I smile, wiping tears from my eyes. She runs her hand through her tangled hair and I grin while looking out to the ocean.

It's times like these I'm going to miss. This could be one of our last summers here, due to the fact that Maddie and Johnny will both be attending college next fall. I should cherish this summer; and while I'm deep in thought I think of how true the statement you only live once really is. Ever since I was born my summers have been revolving around this place– the house, the beach, the people. 

I could all go in an instant.

•••

[752 words]

Aw i actual love Maddie and Kenz! If you got to have a sleepover with one of them, who would you chose? I would probably choose Maddie cos we seem more similar and are the same age hehe. Thanks 4 reading kiddos, please vote! x