Chapter 13 : Things Changed

Natalia Walker's POV :

"You have got to be joking"

He sighed "I wish I were....he sustained a major hit to the head which caused him to suppress his memories of the last few years "

"Oh my God"

He continued as if he didn't hear me "normally when this happens the memories suppressed are the most painful ones"

"How long will he be like this ?......not remembering anything"

"It's hard to tell", he sighed "right now he seems to be okay but each case is different.......there's no guarantee that he will ever regain his memory"

My entire body froze from hearing this. I couldn't bring myself to believe that this was happening. My life just seemed to constantly be a rocky rollercoaster ride that as no end. I looked up at the ceiling, to stare at the blank white wall. Looking back at the doctor I surprised myself when I asked,

"Can I see him ?"

He smiled sadly at me, making me feel the pity and sympathy that I did not want or need.

"Yes you can but don't stay too long he needs his rest.

"Thank you", I muttered to him.

"He's in room 406"

I nodded my head to the doctor and made my way to down the hall to the elevator. I stepped inside and pressed the button for the second floor. I've been to this hospital before so I knew where the room was without asking directions.

I couldn't help but wonder if he was awake right now. I probably should have asked the doctor but I was too busy trying not to look pitiful that i totally forgot until now. I don't think I will know what to say to him if he is awake. One thing I do know is that I desperately need to see him if it's even just for a minute.

Ding !!!!

I waited as the elevator doors opened and then I stepped out, smiling softly to the doctors and nurses around. My breath hitched when I spotted room 406. Taking a deep breath I wrapped my hand around the door handle pushing it open. I walked in transfixed by the site before me.

There he was looking at me as if I was the only thing that mattered to him. A single tear escaped my eye as I slowly walked over to him. I took a seat in the chair that was placed at his bedside and turned to face him. He was still staring at me and I couldn't bring myself to tear my eyes away from him.

"Natalia", he whispered "what happened ?..... Why are you crying and why am I in the hospital ?"

"You don't remember ?", I asked already knowing the answer.

He raised his hand to run his fingers through his hair before speaking "everything's a blur.... I remember us going to the benefit ball but everything after is a blur"

I couldn't help the gasp that escaped my lips. He really doesn't remember anything. The benefit ball was five years ago. It was just months before our divorce.

"What's going on ?", he asked seriously.

"Would you like the truth or the sugar coated version ?"

He laughed nervously "the t-truth"

I nodded to that "well.... you were in an accident and now you have amnesia", I stated bluntly.

"What ?!", he almost shouted "I have amnesia.... I thought it was just the meds making everything so blurry"

I didn't know what to say so I kept quiet. I listened as he continued to vent about his loss of memory. After a minute he was silent. There was no sound except those of the heart machine and other machines in the room.

"Why are you so quiet ?", he asked curiously.

"There's a lot that's changed", I said to him.

"Like what ?", he asked staring at me intently.

"Us", I whispered "we're no longer married"

"What ?!", he shouted "of course we are"

I didn't bother to answer him I simply walked over to one of the tables with magazines and grabbed the one with our faces on the cover. I walked over to him and handed it to him. He took one look at the cover and the date it was published and that's when I saw it the look of anguish in his eyes.

"Chase, I ....."

He raised a hand effectively stopping me from speaking. I felt terrible in this moment. I didn't want to hurt him but I couldn't keep the truth from him.

"Give me a moment please", he pleaded with me.

"Of course"

With that I stepped out to come face to face with the bitch herself.

Amber.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the wait.
Graduation has been keeping me busy. I hope you like this chapter.

Remember to :
Vote
Comment