Chapter 24

Warnings: Mentions of blood

~Preston's P.O.V.~

     "This is Lachlan!?"
    "What're you doing here?!"

     That's how I first knew this wasn't going to end well. It hasn't been ten seconds of Vikk returning from the kingdom, and already Jerome and Lachlan are caught up in a fight, wrestling on the ground and fists flying at each other's faces. Jerome is a snarling mess, and Lachlan's face is flushed red in anger.

    "Woah woah woah! Calm the freak down!" Mitch exclaims, him and Vikk literally dragging Jerome and Lachlan away from each other.
     "Why do I get the feeling they've met before." I mumble to Rob, watching as Jerome and Lachlan continue to glare daggers.
     "Why are you two fighting?" Rob asks, trying to calm them both down and work through this.
     "He tried to kill me in the Nether!" Lachlan accuses, eyes wild as he jabs a finger at Jerome.
      "Kill you? You tried to kills me! And you called me a filthy animal!" Jerome snaps, Mitch having to jerk him back so he doesn't rip Lachlan's head off.
     "It's not like it's not true!" Lachlan retorts smugly, assuming Jerome can't do anything since Mitch is holding him back.

      Wrong choice.

      "Why YOU LITTLE-"

     Jerome howls in rage, breaking out of Mitch's grasp and lunging at Lachlan with blinding speed. Lachlan helps in surprise, and tries to duck. But because Vikk is holding him still, and he doesn't let go soon enough, it results in Jerome's sharp black class ripping across his face. Lachlan cries in rage and pain, shoving Vikk to the side, and just like that the two are at it again. Blood streaks down Lachlan's face, and he connects his fist with Jerome's nose, effectively causing it to bleed. This time it takes both Rob and I to restrain them, and even then it takes a good three minutes to pry them away from each other.

     "WILL YOU TWO SETTLE DOWN FOR TWO FLIPPING MINUTES?!" Vikk suddenly screeches, Jerome and Lachlan both instantly shutting up.
     Seeing his frustration, Lachlan hangs his head a bit. "Sorry Vikk." Lachlan apologizes, Jerome muttering an apology as well.
     Hold both their gazes for a moment, Vikk is finally satisfied and he lets out a huff. "If we're going to challenge the rulers and stop this war, then you two are going to have to start working together. I don't care what one of you did to the other a long time ago, it's done now. You can dislike each other all you want, but for the love of Notch just try not to rip each other's throat out every five seconds."
     "Alright, anything for you Vikky." Lachlan sighs, winking.
     Vikk glowers at him. "You've got about as much charm as a dead slug."
     "Ouch." Lachlan pouts, the rest of us stifling a snicker.

~~~

After a little while of talking, and for the most part trying to get Lachlan and Jerome not to hate each other, it seems everyone begins to sense it's finally time. Now that we have a person from every kingdom, we can start challenging the rulers and stopping this war. Now, usually, people think that to take over a kingdom, you have to storm it and kill like, everyone including the ruler. Which... Is literally what's been happening the past 27 years. But we know that there's another way. I mean, Mitch himself even confirmed it and he's a Prince. A renegade Prince, but a Prince. I mean technically I am/was a Prince too but whatever.

Any member of a kingdom, no matter their position, can challenge the current ruler to a competition for the ownership of the kingdom. Traditionally, the ruler decides the challenge and both sides choose a set number of allies to partake in it, the winner gaining dominance over the kingdom. It's a lost practice, since most people seem to like fighting to the death instead, but it's still a thing and a ruler cannot decline once challenged. If they do, they automatically forfeit their position and kingdom. So we need to travel to each kingdom again, and then just make sure we can win the challenge. Once we all reign over the kingdoms, we'll put and end to the war and then go from there.

At the moment we're in a cave underneath the ice spikes biome, to shield is from the bitter temperatures and winds. Why they would choose to build their kingdoms in both the hottest and coldest places is beyond me, but I know I didn't have a great time getting even this far. I have to be constantly heated up when I'm outside to melt any snowflakes or snow on the ground before it touches me. It's super tiring and dangerous and not to mention cold.

"So I guess that's it then." Rob begins, glancing around our small circle. "We have everyone now. We can start taking over the kingdoms."
"Y'know Rob, way back in the Rouge kingdom when you saved me and I suggested this crazy plan, I never really imagined it would work." I chuckle, a small wave of nostalgia running through me.
"Don't get ahead of yourself bud." Jerome reminds me, "We still have to take over the kingdoms, we just have everyone assembled."
"He has a point." Vikk agrees.
"Well then I guess, now that everyone's here, we should go challenge the Dimensional kingdom eh?" Mitch suggests.
"Yeah, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous. I have no clue what she's gonna have us do." Lachlan admits, rubbing the back of his neck.
     "Well there's only one way to find out..."

~~~

     The six of us march through the streets of the dimensional kingdom, heads held high, making a b-line for the castle. A dome encases the kingdom to shield it from the everlasting Winter outside, and gray daylight shines through the glass, illuminating our armour and weapons. A few citizens, seeing Jerome and I and knowing we aren't from this kingdom, move to intercept us. But upon seeing Lachlan, they immediately back away and watch as we walk by with confused stares. With Lachlan at the head, we stroll right up to the castle doors, and walk in like we own the place. Honestly, I'm surprised we aren't dead right now and inside I'm have a panic attack but hey, if acting brave is what takes us to get into the throne room that so be it.

Lachlan calls out a casual greeting to the guards as we march by, and in return the exchange confused and wary glances. But Lachlan, being a higher rank than them, is standing by us, they make no move to attack or block us. Soon enough, and we're sweeping through the gates to the throne room, right past the guards without a word.

     In front of us stretches the expanse of the throne room, adorned in brilliant white Quartz, diamonds, and obsidian. The throne is constructed of diamond blocks, and it's surrounded by a pattern of dirt, endstone, and nettherrack. There's a woman sitting atop said throne, black hair falling smoothly over her shoulders, and a crown with a miniature ender crystal embedded in it sitting on her head. She's wearing fancy blue and white themed clothing, with white fur lining the sleeves, good, etc. There's a black cape flowing from her shoulders, and I recognize it to be one with Endermen eyes on the back.

     Her icy blue eyes survey the six of us, and her mouth forms a frown.

    "Lachlan, explain to me who these... People are." She demands, a cold stare being laid upon Lachlan. She knows we aren't a part of her kingdom.
     He bows lightly. "I apologize for the sudden intrusion, my ruler." Lachlan addresses, the ruler huffing impatiently.       This is Vikk, Preston, Rob, Jerome, and Mitch. They each reign from the five other kingdoms." He introduces, gesturing to each of us in turn. "We-"
     "And what makes you think it is appropriate to bring them into my presence?" She challenges, "And Vikk, did I not tell you if you were ever to show your face here, you would be slain?"

     Vikk's eyes widen, my throat suddenly become dry, and the ruler goes to summon the guards. But before she can, Lachlan cuts in.

     "I challenge you for the ownership of this kingdom." Lachlan interrupts.

     Surprise flashes in her eyes for only a moment, then she focuses on Lachlan once again, holding his gaze steadily. Then, after what seems like an entirety, she nods.

     "Tomorrow at Noon, in the End, you versus Ian." She declares with venom lacing her voice. "The one to kill the Enderdragon the fastest wins."

     And with that she stands, and sweeps past us into the hallway.

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Predictions?

My answer: 🤐