29

Jinhee returns to where Jimin is to see him hunting, with a group of dead mice neatly stacked up into a pile at the side. She is quite impressed by this, even though she doesn't say it.

That's enough. She speaks, making Jimin stop what he was doing to look up at her. He wags his tail in excitement, completely forgetting about his resentment towards her.

Mother! Look! I caught them! The vixen didn't give him any reaction. She only eyes him before asking,

How did you do it? Jimin was about to answer when he notices the old wolf's reappearance near the woods. The wolf gives him a look, to which he understands.

I... just got the hang of it. He lies. She slightly nods and turns away again, eyes landing on the pile of mice.

You haven't eaten? She shifts her gaze to Jimin. Aren't you hungry?

Yes. But I want to show you what I can do, Mother. Jimin looks into her eyes, hoping to find any sign of pride in them. Even just a glimpse.

But he saw none as she turns away, throwing a 'eat before you starve to death, imbecile.' at his face before leaving again. Even though he doesn't show it, Jimin's heart sank a little. He had always been trying to feel loved by his mother before he left her, and he thought leaving would make it possible.

But no. The vixen is still as cold-hearted as ever.

The fox slowly paces over to the pile of mice with his head hung low. His stomach is screaming for him to consume something, but he has no appetite. Using his teeth, he pulls one of the mice out and bit into it. The irony taste of blood immediately gushes and spread throughout his mouth, making him wince in disgust. But he swallowed it to fill in his empty stomach.

You have to get used to this. Or else you won't be able to survive. A familiar deep voice fills in Jimin's ears, making him look up from his meal at the wolf.

Oh, it's you again! He wags his tail in excitement at his savior, showing off his gratitude.

I know you're used to human food now. I assume you hate the taste of blood but trust me, once you get used to it, everything will be fine.

Jimin nods at him and lowers his snout to eat again, but his ears are still perked up, listening attentively to the movements of the wolf. He hears the slight shifting of leaves and looks up to see that the wolf had seated himself before him.

Your mother told me to inform you that you'll be learning combats tomorrow, so you better get some rest and prepare yourself. It's gonna be really tough, kit.

The wolf stands up to walk away again, but before he could, Jimin had called out to him to stop him.

Wait! I have a question for you! This made the wolf stop and turn around to look him in the eyes, waiting for the question to be asked.

Why... are you helping me? He blurts out the question that had been bothering him, hoping to get an answer from him. But no, he didn't get the answer he wanted.

I'll tell you when I think you're ready. When you're tough enough. For now, you just need to work hard on your tasks and become the leader of this territory. He says and walks away, Jimin didn't stop him. He stares at the wolf's silhouette as it gets smaller and smaller, and eventually disappears. For now, he had only identified the wolf as someone who works for his mom, but he doubts that it's that simple.

Why is he so mysterious?

__

The next morning, Jimin woke up to being dragged out of the den again. Only this time, he didn't squirm around and just lets the wolf -almost twice his size- drag him out.

This is the first mistake he made that day. His mother scratched him on his neck, giving him wounds there as a punishment.

Do you just let your enemies get to you like that?! Are you dumb?! This is how you'll die if you don't pay attention to your surroundings!

Jimin only kept quiet with his head hung low. He knows well that he's been missing out on a lot, and he needs to learn in order to survive in the woods. His mother turns to a wolf and gives him a look, signaling for him to come over. The wolf didn't even hesitate before leaving his spot to appear beside the vixen.

What she said next made Jimin's eyes widen in fear,

You. Fight this wolf now.

__

Jimin lays motionless on the ground, with bite marks, claw marks, and bruises covering his small body.

The vixen eyes his damaged body and gives the wolf -who only has a few minor scratches on him- an unreadable look.

Good job. Go back and rest for tonight. Ask the others to guard your spot instead. The wolf lets out a low growl before backing away, leaving the mother and son alone. Jimin opens his heavy eyelids to look into his mother's eyes. He is doing it again. Trying to look for any signs of love for him.

Even sympathy will do.

But to no avail. Her eyes only show how cruel and cold-hearted she really is. She turns around to leave, not sparing her son a second glance. Hell, she didn't even hesitate.

She walks out of the scene like she's walking out of a cinema. It's almost as if she doesn't care whether or not he survives with so many open wounds on his body.

Weak. You're weak. I don't have a weakling like you as a son. Stand up and walk on your own.

A wave of extreme emotion hits Jimin as he watches his mother's form slowly disappear. Tears swell up in his eyes.

All he ever wanted was a home, but they had been taken away from him twice. All he ever wanted was to feel loved. Genuinely loved. He was always left behind, but it was different with Taehee.

It was him, who have left her without even saying goodbye.

His heart aches, the open wounds on his body only making it worse for him. When images and memories of Taehee's smile came to his mind, he cried.

He hates himself so much for leaving.