Chapter 101

Sitting on her couch with her laptop propped up on a pillow, Rory looked down at her phone and studied the picture of her twin siblings that her mother just sent. They were beautiful. She couldn't wait to get to the hospital to see them.

The doorbell rang.

Quickly glancing at Lora, who lay sleeping in a bassinet in the living room, Rory made her way to the front door.

Nothing could have prepared her for who was on the other side.

"Shira." Surprise was evident in Rory's voice.

"Hello Rory. I hope I'm not catching you at a bad time."

Rory shook her head. "No, I'm just waiting on Logan to finish some work upstairs so I can head to the hospital—"

"Is everything okay?" Shira asked quickly.

Laughing lightly, Rory told Shira how Lorelai had just delivered twins and she was anxious to go see them.

"Oh, how nice." Shira looked around the porch nervously. "So how have you been?"

Rory shook her head. "Where are my manners? Please, Shira, come in." Stepping aside, she watched as Logan's mother moved into the house and pause, unsure of where to go. "How about a little tour?"

Shira smiled tightly. "That would be lovely."

Rory once again glanced toward the bassinet, wanting to hold off on introducing Lora to Shira until Logan was present. Satisfied that she had time to head to the second floor first, she gestured to the stairs. "Let's begin upstairs. Logan's office is up there."

The women climbed the stairs and Rory led the way to Logan's office. After a light knock on the open door, they both entered.

Logan looked up and, as surprised as Rory was, stood up. "Mom! What are you doing here?"

"Well, Logan, I wanted to see you two and meet my newest granddaughter."

Silence stretched around the three, making each shift uncomfortably. Rory held up her hand. "I'm going to head back downstairs in case Lora wakes up."

*****

Once Rory was out of earshot, Logan turned to his mother. "Mom, is everything okay?"

"I suppose I could ask you the same thing."

"What do you mean?"

"I called you weeks ago, right after Lora was born and you never called me back."

Logan closed his eyes, realizing Shira was right. "I'm sorry Mom. I ignored your call—"

"So you admit it."

"—because Rory's mother had just gotten into an accident. Her step-father called me so that I could break the news to Rory once we got settled and to make sure that she didn't try to head to the hospital with just getting home with Lora."

Shira looked down. "Oh."

Logan crossed the room and touched his mother's shoulder. "I'm sorry. We were sidetracked with Lorelai's recovery and with Lora. We never meant to alienate you."

"We?"

Logan's eyebrows furrowed together. "We. Rory and me."

"Rory hasn't alienated me. She emails me. I know all about Lorelai's accident and how Lora is progressing."

Shock became evident on Logan's face.

Shira smiled. "What do you and that fiancée of yours talk about if you have no idea she has been emailing me?"