03; inevitable

❝ sometimes, very rarely, impossible things happen and we call them miracles ❞

sometimes, very rarely, impossible things happen and we call them miracles

[DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY: PART ONE]

~~~

"WHAT THE HELL do you mean no one's dying?" Julia asked, striding down the hall of the Police Station. Other colleagues ran up and down the hall, brought into a frenzy of work at the new development.

James ran after her, struggling to keep up with her long strides. He brandished the case file, "Mr Jenkins from down the road? He was shot point-blank range by a nine millimetre and he's still walking. People are calling it a miracle."

Julia froze at the sound. It had been a long time since she had heard of anything remotely unnatural. Now it seemed like something (not that she had ever heard of this happening before) had rolled into town. "Any other strange cases?"

"Plenty; Mr Taylor, man with the terminal cancer, walked out of the hospital just yesterday. Another mugging case walked away unscathed. No one's died in the past week. We've only just caught on."

Julia shook her head in amazement. Whatever this thing was, it wasn't like anything else she had faced. "Any theories?"

James stopped as the pair of them reached her office. "None," he sighed at a loss of an explanation. "How is this even possible?"

"It's not, that's what I'm afraid of." Julia grabbed her coat and gun off the back of her chair. "Come on then, we have work to do."

~~~

If there was one thing that half-exasperated and half-awed Julia, it was the way people were determined to see good in everything. They didn't have the faintest idea what was really out there in the world, but decided that any seemingly incredible event was down to one being that no one had any proof of.

No—all that Julia had seen in the world was pain, suffering and monsters. Despite that she was one of the few who knew that demons existed, she struggled to see how God could exist behind all that. "All anyone has to say is that it's a miracle," she groaned, "When do miracles ever just happen?"

James shrugged, shaking his head in annoyance. "Believe me, I doubt God gives a damn about what's happening in this town. It must be something, right?"

The ex-hunter raised her eyebrows at the bitterness in the other man's tones as he said this but, with more than her fair share of bad experiences, she concluded that it was not her place to comment. Well, we've got squat at the moment," she returned the sigh, "It's late, try again tomorrow?"