Flashbacks

He slept at the Cave that night.

It was easier than sleeping at the Manor. Less things were different at the Cave, and it was much easier to remember the new Team and League than it was to remember Barbara, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, or Damian.

Besides, he needed constant proof. Proof that the simulation wasn't real and the Team - the original Team - were alive and well.

He woke early the next morning from a nightmare - or rather, a memory of how the simulation began. It ended with him caught in the explosion - and stealthily made his way to the kitchen. He didn't want to talk to the Team about the simulation just yet. He ate a small, quick breakfast before making his way to the Cave's gym.

The gym was a place where he could train and just forget. He could forget about the simulation, about the thirty years, about the invasion, and just lose himself. He made sure to remove his cape before starting; it was beginning to be a tripping hazard with him constantly forgetting it was there.

The one place where he could genuinely smile.

"Robin." The voice was quiet, but still pierced through the air. It wasn't until Batman repeated his name did he realize that he was talking to him.

"This is the best day of my life!" Jason laughed, trying out various karate moves in his new Robin uniform.

He dropped down next to the Dark Knight, looking everywhere but at his face. "Dick," His gentle warning tone made him immediately meet his eyes, ignoring the pain that went through him.

"Batman may be dead, but Gotham City will still be protected."

"Black Canary thinks it will help if you meet with her daily." He explained softly, as though he was scared that he would run away and break down any second. "If you're up to it, you can talk about what happened...after..." He nodded, telling Batman that he understood what he meant and agreed to it. He didn't like it, however. He didn't want to talk.

"And perhaps you could meet with Martian Manhunter later, so he can see if there are any residual effects of the simulation left in your mind." This made him stiffen. He didn't want anyone in his mind. He didn't want to live another thirty years mentally.

He couldn't.

...Jason...Tim...

...Steph...Damian...

...Roy...Barbara...

Barbara.

"Will you marry me?"

"You're proposing to me. On a rooftop. In the middle of Gotham. In costume."

Pause.

"Of course I'll marry you, you idiot. But I hope Dick proposes better than Nightwing, because Barbara might not agree with such a tactic."

"You know you love me." He said, a wide grin on his face.

"Unfortunately." She laughed, shooting a grapple to another building. He let out a similar laugh, and followed close behind.

"Dick!" The man's voice snapped him back to reality, Batman was kneeling besides him, but why was he looking up?

That was when he became aware of something behind him, and realized he was on the floor. He let out a soft groan as his head throbbed and instinctively looked straight up.

Right at Batman.

He froze, tensing up. He soon relaxed, able to calm himself because the eyes were masked. They were just white spots on black fabric. He could look at them. There was no need to panic. Still, he looked away as he got up into a sitting position.