Chapter 22: A Memorable Getaway

"You gained weight." Steve commented, setting me back down after catching me from the brief jump. I straighten myself, knowing the comment isn't meant to be offensive, and I don't take it that way. My severe anemia and malnourishment left me in a fragile state and I'm glad I can actually do something with my body.

"Mhm." Is all I reply with, looking back up from the window I fell from. The hospital will probably be overrun by agents in minutes looking for me, and all I can think of is my doctor buying us time to escape. I start to walk away, knowing our moments being undiscovered at the back of the hospital are wasting away. Still, all I can think of is Meredith and the consequences she'll face, "What's the rest of the plan to get out of the city?"

"We'll meet up with Natasha on Mission Street. That's about ten blocks from here." He answered, still carrying a worried look that he'd worn since the true nature of my health was discovered. I try to not indulge it, knowing fretting over it will just slow us down. It's already affected me enough, and probably will more down the line. I just hope I can keep a cool enough head to get us out of this.

"How're we gonna get there?"

"That's the part I thought you would like best." Rogers doesn't disclose anything with that answer, and I was just about to inquire when I hear something.

I put my index finger to my lips, letting my partner know to be quiet as I turn back. The wall of the hospital is to my left with foliage such as looming trees and bushes to my right. With now quiet, sounds came from around the open corner where the building ended. I hear footsteps on pavement, at least four sets of boots. Steve hears them too, whispering, "Perimeter check?"

I nod quickly, knowing another set of agents will be around the opposite bend soon enough. I don't feel like fighting against fellow SHIELD members at the moment, so I'll have to improvise. Pulling a super soldier's large frame through the small forest to escape will leave an easy path of disruption to follow. Going either way around is blocked. Negotiation is a bad idea when you're fugitives. We don't have a lot of options that end in a win for us.

Maybe confrontation is inevitable. If I jump them with an ICER, it might end a skirmish before it even fully begins. I start to reach for my holster, only for Steve to grab my forearm and pull my into the greenery to the right.

Without thought I follow, sighing at his impulse as branches break off when we bust through the borage of green. We're hidden from immediate sight of the agents turning the corner, but the noise of two people rushing through small trees and jumping over neatly trimmed bushes will give us away easily. The leaves overhead make the wooden space darkened, but light suddenly emerges as we get to the other side of the foliage onto the street.

The duffel bag Natasha gave me snags on a long branch, and it slows my pace down from a quick sprint to get it. I readjust the strap on my shoulder, going back to look at my new surroundings. We stand on a sidewalk, cars going at least 30 miles an hour on the roadway. Across the stream of traffic is a business district, buildings several stories high next to a parking garage.

I take a deep breath, going to follow Steve as he begins to jog to the closest crosswalk, "You know I've could've just used an ICER on them. Now it'll be easy to follow our trail. Plus, we're running. We look pretty guilty."

He shakes his head as I catch up to him, "Sorry, going through bushes was my idea the entire time. Also, I'm in a track suit. I'm supposed to be running."

"Got me there." I concede, to which he offers a satisfied grin. He got around my constant criticism with that one.

Steve points to the parking garage across the road near the office buildings as we approached the crosswalk, "Our ride's in there."