Chapter 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~Samantha~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doorman had already parked Oliver's Mercedes on the front gate before we came out of the restaurant. As we reached near his car, Oliver opened the car door for me. I felt awkward but didn't react.

Oliver closed the door and sat next to me. I watched him from the corner of my eyes, he was still smiling.

"Samantha, put your seat belts on and don't worry, I drive well", he said looking at me. I could still see mischief in his eyes.

I did as he said. The Jewellery showroom was at half an hour drive from the restaurant. Oliver put a playlist on his car's stereo. It was one of my favourite songs of all times by All Green...

###

Let's stay together

I, I'm I'm so in love with you
Whatever you want to do
Is all right with me
Cause you make me feel so brand new
And I want to spend my life with you...

###

But the words were hitting hard on my heart. This was all what I wanted to say to him.

I closed my eyes and rested my head at the back. I had to stop being in this dilemma if I wanted to stay sane. Oliver is my boss and nothing else. I kept reminding this to myself almost chanting the same sentence again and again in my head in a hope to make it reach my heart.

***********************************

We entered the showroom. It was glittering from all the shining precious jewellery nicely placed behind the protected glass panels. I hesitated a bit to go any further. It was the same sense of awkwardness which I had felt while entering the restaurant, only ten times more than that. I was standing clueless in a corner while Oliver moved ahead of me towards the staircase.

I was wondering whether I should keep standing or go behind him, when one of the staffs approached me. She was a blonde wearing a beige coloured skirt suit. With shiny black leather footwear with medium heels. She had her hair neatly tugged in a French bun and was wearing nude make up. If I would have not been attending various business meetings with Oliver, I would have easily mistaken her for the owner of the showroom. She appeared rich and classy.

" Hello Ma'am, how can I help you?" She asked looking at me with suspicion.

Of course she knows I can't afford to buy anything from here.

"Er... Actually I am with him", I said pointing towards the staircase. But Oliver was nowhere near the stairs or anywhere where my eyes could reach.

"I am sorry, who?" The lady asked.

"He was here, I think he went upstairs. Let me see", I said and moved towards the staircase.

"Just a second Ma'am. You cannot go inside. I think you are at the wrong place. I'll suggest you to move out of the showroom and search for your friend outside", she said with a plastic smile stuck on her face.

"What? But I am sure he has gone upstairs. Let me call him." I immediately opened my bag to search for my phone. I dug both my hands inside my bag trying hard to find my phone from the pile of junk that was lying inside it.

But before I could find it the lady shouted at the top of her lungs, "Security, security we have a situation here."

Within ten seconds I was surrounded by four armed security guards. I panicked. This was all just too much for me. I was just standing at a corner, trying to find my phone to call Oliver and that lady called the security. What the hell did I do? This was humiliating. I was about to cry. My eyes were burning with anger and frustration. Next moment two of the guards held one of my arms each and started dragging me outside.

"Stop it!", a loud voice from behind startled everyone and the floor went dead silent. It was Oliver.

As soon as I saw him I freed myself from the guards and ran towards him and almost bumped into him hugging him tightly and started crying. He embraced me tightly trying to calm me down and kept patting the back of my head lightly.

"How dare you mistreat her like this. Are these your ethics? Don't you know who I am?", there was aggression and authority in his voice.

"I... I am really sorry Sir. I didn't know that she was with you. She... She didn't tell me Sir", the blonde said in an extra polite tone.

"Don't lie, I tried to tell you, but you didn't listen. She didn't listen to me", I said looking at Oliver.

"I know dear. I am very well aware of these kind of people. Where is Mr. McKinley. I want to talk to him", he shouted moving me at the side but still holding my hand firmly.

"Please Sir, I am extremely sorry Sir. Please forgive me. Forgive me Ma'am." The lady was pleading. I was shocked to see the sudden change in her behaviour towards me. Few seconds earlier she was looking at me as if I was an infectious worm which needed to be squashed immediately before I could infect anyone that belonged to their class or status. And now she was being all polite and buttery. Her personality was as fake as her fake eyelashes.

"Don't you dare talk to my fiance again. She doesn't need to deal with people like you. Now get lost."

What? Fiance? What is he saying?

My feet froze to the ground. I just couldn't move, couldn't feel, couldn't think anymore.

"Sweetheart come. I'll make her pay for what she has done. Don't worry", Oliver said pulling me forward. But I didn't move. I wanted answer. Answer to what he just said. Oliver looked into my eyes trying to understand what I wanted to say. I stared back at him with anger.

But before either of us could speak, a man came rushing towards Oliver ," Mr. Taylor I am extremely sorry for the misbehaviour of my staff. I apologize Mr. Taylor. She is new here, so she is not familiar with our regular customers."

"Really Mr. McKinley, am I just another customer?", Oliver said sarcastically.

"Of course not Sir. I deeply regret what just happened."

"Then fire the lady RIGHT NOW!", Oliver shouted at the top of his lungs.

"Yes Sir. Consider it done."

What! He just got that lady fired for just one mistake.

Now I was mad. Mad at Oliver for taking such strict action without even thinking twice and at me for over reacting and making him do that, although unintentionally.

"See, everything is sorted. Now let's go upstairs we are yet to do the shopping." There was no regret or tension on his face. His usual smile was back. I was shocked. Things are so easy for these rich people. I mean he just took someone's bread and butter a while ago, just because she was doing her job. Although I know that her behaviour towards me was not right but wasn't she trained to sort people like me out. To have a plastic smile, fake personality and be and do as and what she did?

I didn't say anything but just turned back and move out of the showroom before Oliver could stop me.