Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Exhausted.

That is exactly how I felt right now.

I was standing outside Nana’s house, just wanting to spend the rest of the night with Tommy. I freshened up at home before I came here, making sure to change Drakes black top to one of my own because I didn’t want anyone to get suspicious. The last thing I needed was for Nana to think that I was involved with guys and bringing them home too. That wouldn't go down too well.

I knocked on the door and waited a few seconds before the door opened. I let a smile slip onto my face as I greeted the person at the door, "Hey Nana."

“Hello honey! Come on in, I just got to pop in the kitchen to finish cooking, I’m nearly done,” she said in a rush, already heading towards the kitchen. Her small frame was not to be underestimated; she could be fast when she wanted to. 

“Ok, do you need any help?” I asked politely, following her lead. She always was a wonderful woman. I appreciated her help more than words could allow me to define. The way she took care of Tommy when my Mother was hardly around was simply amazing. She didn't let me give her money to pay for his food and other essentials. You hardly get people like that in this world.

“Oh no dear! You go play with your little brother, he’s inside the living room,” she said, waving her hands in a shooing motion. This was exactly what I meant and even when I tried to protest she would give me that one look that made me feel like a little girl getting scolded for not listening. 

I made my way towards the living room, walking in quietly to the sight of my little brother in front of the TV crossed legged. He was watching Toy Story- one his favourite movies. His eyes were practically glued to the TV as he watched Buzz come to the rescue of Woody. He had his little brown teddy in his hand, clutching it close to his heart.

I started to make my way towards him as quietly as I could. He was so absorbed in the movie that he didn’t even notice I was right behind him. I was grateful for no squeaks from the floorboards as I put my hands on his shoulders and at the same time screamed, “BOO!”

“ARGGGHHHHHHHH!” he screamed whilst whirling round with wide eyes as if he was expecting a giant gorilla to attack. I couldn’t help but burst out laughing at his reaction but it didn’t last long before a huge smile made its way on his face as he practically pounced on me. That effectively made me lose my balance and predictably fall on my back with a thud.

“ROSIE!” he shouted with a huge grin plastered on his face whilst dragging out the letter ‘e’ on my name. Only Tommy could call me that. My dad used to when he was still here but after his death Tommy started to say it and I just wouldn’t let anyone else call me that. The only two people I loved with all my heart. It was personal.

“Howdy there cowboy,” I said trying to make an awesome impression of Woody whilst getting back up and kneeling in front of him. I saw him try to hold back a laugh but he failed miserably. I always did this, trying my best to be his friend, his sister, his everything. I always fooled about with him just to make him happy, that's what you do to for the people you love. 

“Are you laughing at me?” I asked putting on a deadly serious face. My eyes were narrowed and I had my hands placed on my hips, attempting to look intimidating. 

“N...N…No!” he stuttered as he put his hand across his mouth, trying to stifle his giggles. His eyes were shining, filled with laughter as he stared at me.