Lava #22

We pulled up to the apartments being careful of the kids playing in the road. The neighborhood wasn't the best but there seemed to be so much life on this one street.

Children kicked a ball back and forth in a nearby field. The ice cream man handed out ice cream pops for fifty cents. A group of teenage boys played basketball on a run down court. Though in there eyes this place was an oasis.

Everything seemed to be in imperfect chaos. I remember this being my only view point of the world. And though it was a time full struggle it was also a time full of learning.

Akimed parked the car and opened my door. We took the few gifts from the trunk and headed up the graffiti covered steps.

What disturbed me was the music that almost took my ears off. The smoke that engulfed my nose the creepy men that watched me as I climb the steps.

Their eyes seemed to never blink. Like snakes they seem to at any moment want to strike. Like crocodiles they stood unmoving watching their prey.

Akimed held a look upon his face that I had never seen before. It was rough it was menacing it was defense. We quickly made it to Shyla's apartment. I knocked on the door. Within a few moments she opened up. Inviting us in I noticed the many boxes that were scattered upon her floor.

"I have so much to unpack." she told us sighing and sitting down on the messy floor.

She honestly looked distressed I almost felt bad for the girl. Almost.

How she continuously acted towards me hindered me from feeling any type of sympathy for her. Her attitude was bad, she was irresponsible and I could bet nine times out of ten she still wanted my man.

I was certainly glade I wasn't the same person I use to be because I would have snatched her up by now.

¨Well we hope you get it together." Akimed told her scratching his head.

¨Here are some house gifts, things you might need for the new house." I told her setting them down with the rest of the boxes.

The plastered a smile on her face and blinked.

"How thoughtful."

I furrowed my eyebrows at her sarcasm. This miserable heffa. I should take everything I bought back.

Akimed glanced at me pointedly making me calm down.

"Look we just came to be nice ight. Were gonna be out of town for a while. So if you need anything you can call the church." Akimed spoke.

Shyla nodded "Thank you, where are yall going?"

"First of all lil bi-" I started but was cut off by Akimed.

"Shyla that is none of your business as a matter of fact nothing that has to do with me or my girl is. Were just here to help nothing more. The questions are not necessary so chill." he spat standing in front of me.

My baby knew me well I was five seconds away from laying her out. She was just irritating to look at if you asked me.

"Look I apologize, wont happen again." she said rolling her eyes and looking down at her nails.

"I know it wont!" I semi yelled moving around Akim's body "Mind your business. "

Shyla narrowed her eyes at me "Whatever, yall can leave."

She didn't have to tell me twice I was out the door before she could blink. Anything to get away from her face.

I didn't realise the mistake I made until I was outside.

Dark eyes landed on me. More than one might I add. One in particular though stood out.

He had skin like brown sugar pearly white teeth and dark eyes that drew you in. He ran his tongue over his teeth and shot me a smile but more like a grin. I took this as my time to head toward the car.

Turning on my heels I hurriedly went towards the car. Pulling the door open I stopped in my tracks.

The door was locked.

I had left so quickly I forgot Akimed had the keys.

Turning around I came face to face with mr brown sugar. His diamond earings shined brightly in the midday. One of his hands was stuffed deep in his baggy jeans and his gold chain set perfect upon his clean white t.

"What you runnin from moma?" he asked with his thick louisiana accent.

I shook my head stuttering "I-im not running."

"Seems to meh like you ah. I mean as soon as you saw me you took off." he said taking his bottom lip between his teeth.

"I mean I knew I was ugly but damn." he said cracking up at his own joke.

He knew good and well he was a walking masterpiece. He wasn't my Akim but he wasn't ugly.

"Um-" I started confusingly.

"Is there a problem here?" Akimed's voice rang loud and clear.

Mr brown sugar turned towards Akimed looking him up and down.

"Nah, I was just introducing myself to this lovely lady?" he spoke.

Akimed frowned " This lovely lady is my girlfriend. That's all you need to know bruh." he said sizing brown sugar up.

Brown sugar grinned and pulled out a blunt and a lighter.

"Ight, well miss lovely" he said turning to me "I'm lava, i'll be seeing you around."

He lit his blunt and blew out smoke glancing at me one last time and turning on his heels.

Akimed leaped forward. I only pulled him back holding him tightly.

"Baby calm down please." I cooed trying to calm him.

His nostrils flared and he looked in lava's direction.

I kissed the side of his face softly and massaged his neck.

"Hey i'm right here, calm down."

He looked down at me his face softening "lets go."

I nodded as we both got in the car and he drove off like a mad man.

His grip on the steering wheel was tight his jaw tense.

"Don't leave anywhere like that without me again." he said through clenched teeth "You got me out here wanting to kill niggas!"

VOTE/COMMENT.

-REES-