Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

13. A Dance With a Masked Man

It shook Jessica to the core knowing that a non-native of Hive Island spoke her language; it was rare and unheard of. However, she knew she couldn't think about it too much; she would just have to avoid the pirate for the rest of her stay at Northport. She was here to enjoy the start of the festival, not meddle in Jude Hunter's business.

Already, she could hear the vibrations of the music as the festival started. She pinned her crimson hair back from her eyes and let it flow down behind her back like a red waterfall. She looked over herself one last time, making sure the long-sleeved black dress she had borrowed from Elena wasn't creased. Positive she looked good for the evening, she stood up, ready to enjoy the festivities, and left the local inn she'd stayed the night in.

Bunting draped across from building to building, and tinted lanterns lit up the sky, creating a rainbow of colours. Playful music sounded in the background, and people dressed in masquerade masks danced and clapped their hands along to the bountiful tune. It was the start of the harvest festival and would last the entirety of the month until the red moon, where the carnaval would finish at the temple situated in the centre of the island.

A huge grin spread across Jessica's face as she watched from the sidewalk, clapping her hands along to the music. She always loved the harvest festival; it reminded her of home. She bought a black mask from a little boy selling them at a stall and placed it over her face, joining in on the dancing.

She loved to dance, whether it was with her purple silks up in the air or on the floor with her own two feet. Jessica loved the sensation of her body freely moving to the sound of music. Her long red hair spun around her as she danced elegantly. Her smile was big and broad as she enjoyed herself; she had never felt so free. It was a feeling Jessica would always treasure.

The locals and tourists started clapping along to her movements, cheering and throwing flowers at her, mesmerised by her dance.

Unbeknownst to Jessica, Jude stood leaning against a balcony of a local inn. His foot unconsciously tapped to the beat of the music as he watched the festivities of the harvest festival in the street below. A calm and collected look was on his usually stoic face.

The commotion of a dancer caught his attention, and a crowd had formed around her as she danced a dance so beautiful it was lethal. Jude smirked, his sharp eyes never missing a beat. That was no ordinary dance but a form of martial arts known only to those of the Honey Tribe Kingdom. It was her: Jessica Red.

She wore a long-sleeved black dress that flared out at the waist and was cut short off her knee and was accessorised with a purple belt around her waist. Jude noticed that the dress covered her back, hiding the mark that interested him. He had hoped to see her down on the street and had looked out for her on the balcony so that he could meet her again. The girl had taken his fancy. Unless it had something to do with medicine, not much intrigued the dark and mysterious physician, but she had from the moment he had read her note to Paddy.

Already dressed up in a black suit and navy shirt he had bought earlier in the day, he turned and left his spot at the balcony. He placed his medical bag down onto the dresser. Already, he felt vulnerable without it.

"I'm going out. Don't go wandering off with my bag this time." He gave the feline a warning glare, and Paddy nodded in understanding.

Jude turned to the twins, who were playing a round of poker on the bed. "Don't cause any trouble when I'm gone."

"You shouldn't order us around like that; you're not our captain." Saskia, the white-haired girl, laid out her royal flush.

"Saskia is right." Her twin Pedro, the black haired boy, slammed his fist against the table in defeat as he unfolded his hand of cards. "The navy and everyone else in the world may think you're our captain..."