Chapter Eight

You'd think that after such a conversation, we would then have an entirely different dynamic from then on.

Quite wrong.

For the next two weeks, I poured all my energy into writing. And it worked - most of the time. Emotions + Coffee = Writing. Despite the distractions, the formula worked wonders.

Every lunch break Link would sit across from me and we would talk about his family. His life. I even opened up about my own family - albeit sparingly. Keeping everything vague. But it was better than nothing.

Link was a geek in high school, and he never found the crowd that would accept that. But he was a geek that could beat all the teachers in any sort of 'weapon' sport. Fencing and Archery were where he excelled. He'd loved open world survival games, and so he had thrown himself into the sports that would teach him to be like a character in those games.

And then he was the geeky boy who no one dared to start a fight with.

After he became a 'winner,' in his state competitions, girls had tried to get in on his attention, (Or so he had described.) It only took one before he drew the line and said no to the rest. It didn't matter if they were genuine or not... He felt like he couldn't trust them.

Deep talks aside, he described how much he had loved working under his grandmother in the shop. How excited he was to have a place that felt just like home.

And then it became his home. His grandmother had been renting the apartment above the shop out, but when she gave the shop to him, she gave him the apartment.

In those weeks that I learned about his extended family tree, nowhere on it was his parents. He didn't really talk about them, so I didn't even know if his grandma was on his mom's side or his dad's side.

I wasn't even sure if he was actually related to her at all.

I didn't ask.

~*~

Sunday

5 Days Left

"Mornin' Zelda," Link greeted, his apron draping nicely around him.

I smiled. "Morning," I replied as I walked over to the booth and set my stuff down. "Y'know," I started, tapping a finger against my lip, "I think I'll try a white chocolate mocha today," I finished and moved behind the counter.

Link raised an eyebrow. "That's a pretty sweet drink."

"Yeah, well, we can add like three shots to it, or something."

He smiled, shaking his head. "Of course."

I measured out the grounds and started the espresso machine as Link had taught me. Since I was getting the coffee for free I wanted to at least help. Well, more like 'get in the way,' but I liked the illusion of productivity.

It gave me a few minutes to get ready to write after the walk from my apartment.

Link went around me and readied the rest of the ingredients. I joined him when I finished my own task.

"Hey, Zelda?"

"Hmm?" I replied, my finger in my mouth because I'd accidentally dripped chocolate on it.

"I was wondering if you were comfortable to..." he hesitated as he poured the milk. "If... well..." He sighed. "...This is gonna sound weird but... all this info and stuff is good, and we've learned so much about each other..."

"But?" I asked.

"We're still distant physically and..." He winced, that was as bad as he thought it would sound. "I think she'd notice..."

I froze. Physically?

"In what way are you saying we should get... comfortable?" I asked with an edge in my voice I didn't mean to have.

He frowned. "I just meant like... being comfortable sitting close to each other or... Just things that normal couples do, and not look like we're uncomfortable doing it." He looked rather uncomfortable just mentioning it. "But if you don't..." he trailed off.

Normal couples kiss and I can't do that.

I've never done that.

"Like..." I searched for a different answer. "... putting an arm around my waist when you're standing next to me? Me putting my head on your shoulder when we're sitting close?"

"Yes, like that," he said, smiling, relief in his voice and on his face. "... Is that... too far?"

Probably. I bit my lip as I stirred the coffee.

The whole reason I'm doing this is research... 

Part of my mind sent me a message in response. That's crap and you know it.

No! I don't like him that way, I barely...

Oh crap.

... I do know him.

Oh, crap...

"Zelda?"

I snapped out of my mind and looked at him. "Sorry, I was thinking about it."

"Did you get lost or come to a conclusion?" he asked with a smile.

Shaking my head, I replied, "I think I got lost." I am lost... I thought. ...won't the physical make me fall for him... And then what?

Ugh, isn't heartbreak good for writing?

I don't like being broken... I don't need any more broken pieces.

"Well, take your time, we've still got almost a week to practice."

I almost started laughing. Practice? Oh Nayru, why is that funny? "Okay, I've made up my mind." I took a breath to steady myself, and then I took his arm in my coffee-less hand and took him over to the booth. "Don't look at my screen," I told him before sitting down and dragging him down right next to me, making sure our shoulders were touching. This would be okay.

Start out small.

Trust.

I think... I think I can trust him.

"I think I can guess at your answer..." he said.