Chapter 27

So Cold - Breaking Benjamin

Reece

I was sprawled out in the middle of the street again, looking up at the black sky.

I took a deep breath, feeling my skin singe with heat. I groaned in discomfort, knowing I couldn't escape this.

I sat up, looking at my car. I wiggled my keys out of my pocket and forced myself to stand up. I was hit with a wave of dizziness, and I stepped over to lean on my car for support.

"Fuck," I whispered. I clambered in, turning the key in the ignition. The engine roared to life, and I sped off down her street.

I have to hurry.

I thought of what Aphro said about Julian. There's only so many places that he would bring her to, but I couldn't waste time and drive around trying to find them.

Anna.

I sped on the way to her house, not wanting to waste a single second.

I grabbed the steering wheel with anticipation, gritting my teeth in anger.

He was going to regret touching her.

That son of a bitch.

I pulled into an empty space quickly, throwing the car in park and hopping out. I jogged across the street to the complex, feeling pain throb through my ripped stitches. I ignored it, taking the steps two at a time.

I was at her door in no time, breathing heavy. I pounded on it with my fist, not caring to knock on the window.

She would be pissed, but it didn't matter. There wasn't time.

"Anna, open up."

I knocked again, harder this time.

"Anna, I really -" I stopped when the door creaked open.

I slowly stepped in, seeing darkness. I felt around for the light and flipped the switch.

Her furniture was knocked around, and papers were scattered everywhere over the floor. The bookshelf was toppled over, spilling books on the carpet, and the table next to the puke brown sofa was shattered. I stepped closer to see streaks of red among the glass, dark against the carpet.

My hands balled at my sides. Anger poured out of me, and I kicked the ground in frustration, sending papers and books flying. I fell to my knees in the glass and buried my head in my hands.

How was I supposed to keep her safe when I couldn't even protect my friends?

How could I have been so blind?

My body trembled with pure rage, and my head shot back up as I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.

I noticed a piece of paper stuck to the wall in the kitchen. I stood up, ripping it off. The handwriting was sloppy, scrawled in red.

Come and get me.

I crumpled the note in my hand, letting it fall to the floor. An anger that I had never felt before rose within me and I clenched my teeth together as I realized what I had to do. I stepped out of the apartment, heading back out into the night.

When we were younger, Julian would show me some places that he would take his victims if he had to question them. They were random buildings scattered on the edge of downtown, where everything was run down and in the deep ghetto. They were mainly for torture, if Aphro needed information for some reason from them.