Chapter 1.

Seen - A Novella

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this short story over the next few weeks - don't forget, at the end of every chapter there is an opportunity to dictate where the novella will go next! I hope you enjoy this:)

- Andrea

1.

I don't know what irks me more.

The fact that he's seen my message, and hasn't replied.

Or the fact that I care.

I'm a young woman for goodness sake! I shouldn't be like this, I should be focusing on my studies, on my job, on my friends.

I shouldn't be staring at my phone, sitting in the library with my notes sprawled out around me in a studious disarray. It's my attempt to look like I'm actually studying...

I swear I was.

I groan and run a hand through my coffee toned hair, my fingers knotting in the ends as I attempt to drag them through. I've got split ends, I need to get a trim.

Why don't you just...UGH!

Frustrated, I flick my phone off and place it face down on the bench in front of me.

Yes, this is what has become of my life.

A small groan escapes my lips and a few students sitting beside me on the bench look up in frustration. I know, the library probably isn't the best place to have a head full of non-studious thoughts. It's a place to fill your mind with hundreds of pages of notes, of all the material from the three lectures you just had in a row (case and point: Me), a place to find boys (case and point: Alison, one of my friends), and a place to catch up on the latest gossip whilst annoying everyone else around you with you 'not so quite' whispering (case and point: Haven, another friend).

Ok, maybe some of my friends are not exactly the best example of what you should be doing in the library...

I drag my finger on the pad of my laptop to bring the screen back to life before continuing to furiously take down the notes I wrote all over the slides during the lecture I was just in.

THINK. SCIENCE.

THINK. DEGREE.

One more year and I'll be out of here.

Not if I keep thinking about the message on my phone. The one I sent ages ago.

It will go unanswered.

That's one thing I know for sure.

It's not the most pleasant thought.

You're probably thinking, why does she care so much?

Well, if only you knew...

An hour passes and my hand starts to go numb as I finish off the summary of my most recent lecture. I'm finally feeling content again, with my body methodically taking in information and my headphones in.

*Bzzt* *Bzzt*

*Bzzt* *Bzzt*

I look across at my phone, it's still face down where I placed it earlier and it's vibrating.

My brow furrows, did he reply? Surely, it's too good to be true.

I take a deep breath and flip my phone over.

Incoming Call: Haven (Swipe to Answer)

I sigh a little and take the call, pulling out my headphones and lifting the phone up to my ear.