19. You're Going To Kill Me (full)

19.             

             “No, break, break, BREAK!” Coda roars, lunging across the consul to grab the wheel.

             I shriek, sharply turning the wheel with force. In response, the car drops further down the drive, nearly  hitting the edge of the mail box.

            “Will you calm the hell down!” I yell back, heaving with anger. Throwing him a malicious glare, I throw the car from reverse into drive.

            “You can’t even back out of the drive way,” Coda mutters, his voice muffled slightly from his hands over his face.

            “Excuse me! You’re the one grabbing the wheel!” I snap back, tightening my grip on the wheel.

            “Pull over,” Coda tells me.

            “No.”

            “Hazel-”

            “Coda-“ I mimic back.

            “The lights aren’t on right and the gear-“

            “I know how to drive!” I exclaim, throwing my hands up in frustration.

            “Are you stupid!” Coda yells, grabbing the wheel.

            Rolling my eyes, I grab the wheel back, steering the car to the side of the street. We were literally seven feet away from the run down motel. We weren’t even on the main road yet.

            …Maybe that was good.

            Jeez, he should just relax.

            Putting the car in park, I huff in annoyance, slumping against the seat.

            “Are you ready to move on?” I ask, my voice careful.

            Coda groans, burying his face in hands.

            I don’t think I’m helping his headache…

            “You’re going to kill us both,” he mutters to himself.

            “Oh what are you now? a driver from Fast and Furious?” I growl back.

            I run my hand through my hair, teeming with anger and frustration.

            “We haven’t even gotten onto the main road,”  I remind him.   

            “You’re unfit to be a driver-” Coda continues.

            “The freaking state of California seems to think I am!” I protest angrily.

            “I highly doubt California knows you well enough to know that you will most likely see a bunny and get distracted and then drive us off the road into the middle of the ocean,” Coda says, aghast.

            “A little faith would go a long way,” I snap.

            “-So would a bottle of Jack and a pack of cigarettes,” he mutters to himself, grabbing the bottle of ibuprofen from the cup holder.

            “Excuse me?” I ask, reeling back.

            “Nothing,” he exhales crossly, folding his arms.