Chapter 29 - In Law

You laughed. "Stop it, Jin. I thought you were serious for a minute."

He didn't smile. He didn't even blink.

"...You're serious?"

He dropped his hands. "I told you that our parents were close friends. I suppose they wanted it to stay that way."

"Then my father... he... he knew? I mean he was the one to..."

You couldn't stop stuttering. How could your dad do this to you? Why didn't he say anything? First the princess thing... and now this? Was this some kind of joke to him?

Jin's warm hands rubbed your shoulders. "Hey, look at me. Nothing is set in stone."

"It seems pretty solid to me!" you said, your voice raising higher than you expected. "My parents just shipped me off to some castle to become a princess I didn't want to become, and marry me to someone I didn't even know!"

"[Y/N], listen. I know this is a shock for you – it was to me too at first – but..." His eyes dropped to the floor. "I won't make you marry me."

You bit your lip. He sounded so hurt.

"Jin, I –"

He took your hands, his fingers closing over yours. "You don't have to marry me. I won't force you to. But that's the reason why you were sent here. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. I didn't know how."

"Does everyone know?"

He nodded.

So Namjoon and Jungkook knew? They both knew you were meant to be their... sister in law?

You looked up at Jin. "How do you feel about it?"

"At first I hated the idea. Now?" His fingers trickled over your knuckles. "It would feel empty here without you. That's not a reason to get married, but it's the way I feel. Having you here turned out to be better than I anticipated."

He dropped your hands and went back to his bowl of ice cream, shoving another spoonful of it into his mouth. You couldn't decide what you felt. Anger? Hurt? Pity? Embarrassment? You wrapped your arms around yourself.

"Take your time making your decision." Jin continued. "There's no rush, and I don't want you to feel pressured. You can become a princess if you want. We can go through with the marriage if you want. If you don't want either of these, that's fine too. Or if you want to marry someone else..."

He trailed off as his eyes fell to the side.

"Jin..."

Namjoon cut back into the conversation. Wait, didn't he leave?

"Sorry to interrupt, but I thought you should know – Jimin's back."

A polite smirk rose up to Jin's face even though his eyes were tired. "Let's go welcome him back then."

As he left, you looked at Namjoon. Your heart pounded as he held eye contact with you for a moment, then turned to follow his brother.

You held onto your arms tighter and snuck back into your room.

This princess job was getting worse and worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You knew the lake would be beautiful at sunset, and a long walk would be best to clear your head.

As you approached, you saw a figure leaning up against a tree with his hands in his pockets looking out on the lake.

Jimin.

I guess I have to face him sooner or later...

At the sound of your footsteps, he turned to greet you.

"[Y/N]," he said, "I was wondering if I would see you. You look lovely as always."

"Thank you." you replied. "You're back all ready?"

He nodded. "Wedding planning is incredibly dull. I don't recommend it."

He grinned like he was joking, but you could tell by the heaviness in his eyes that it was killing him.

You leaned up against the tree next to him. "Jimin. Why are you getting married? You don't have to do this, do you?"

"Why?" he asked, leaning in to you. "Are you upset that I'll be off the market?"

"I'm serious, Jimin."

His smirk fell and he looked back onto the lake. "I have to get married by the end of the year. If I don't, the throne will go to my brother. I don't want to find out what he'll do with that much power."

"Would he make that bad of a king?"

"Yes."

You were surprised at how confident Jimin was in his answer.

"My brother doesn't have the people of our country in his best interest." he continued. "He'll put himself first. I don't want to see the consequences of that."

"But Nara –"

"Yes, yes, I know. I know about Nara." he said, throwing his head back. "She's just as miserable as I am about it. In that respect, we're perfect for each other, right?"

He stormed off. You went to go chase after him, but Namjoon came and intercepted you.

Why did he keep popping up in places today? Was he... following you?

"Let him be for now." Namjoon said. "He'll go back to his usual self in no time."

You stared at each other for a moment.

"You heard my conversation with Jin?" you asked.

He nodded.

"You knew I was supposed to be..."

"... my sister?" he finished. "Yeah. I knew."

You gave a long sigh. "Well I didn't. I didn't know about any of this. I feel like the longer I'm here, the less I know. Why is everything so messed up?"

Without thinking about it, you dropped your forehead on his shoulder. You couldn't see his face, but he was probably surprised at your action. You were. But the soft fabric of his shirt and the fresh, dewy scent of his cologne was so inviting. After a moment, his fingers came up and stroked your hair.

Until someone cleared their throat.

Taehyung didn't look amused.

"Sorry to interrupt," he said sarcastically, "but it's important. [Y/N], your dad is on the phone."