IV :: The Harp

▲▼▲▼

MORBID BITE

Chapter Four: The Harp

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

▲▼▲▼

Belle looked between the two siblings, their gaze did not leave each other's faces. Their striking eyes were so similar in appearance you could almost mistake them to be identical. All Belle could do was stand and watch as the two of them walked closer to each other. Nicholas was the first to make a move, placing his arms around Sylvia's thin shoulders.

"You're back," he softly whispered, muffled by her hazel hair. Sylvia did not return her brother's touch of affection, in fact her face held a look of disgust at her brother's directness.

"Please Nicholas, no need for such gestures." Her stiff voice was like a hot poker slowly being stabbed into his heart. She took a step away and pushed at his chest, turning her attention back to Belle.

"I must insist you introduce me to your lovely friend." Her sarcastic tone did not hide her distrust of Belle. Averting her eyes away from the uptight woman, Belle's hands folded at her front and she pulled at her fingers.

Nicholas's large grey eyes stared in hurt at his little sister. When had she become so cold? It only seemed like yesterday when she had been a cheerful little girl, playing around with her dolls; intent on giving them the best ballroom dance.

"This is Annabelle, a guest of my household. She is staying with us for a while, her carriage was attacked by the monster and..." Nicholas's hand motioned towards Belle but his smile was interrupted by Sylvia's sudden intake of breath.

"Oh, Nicholas." Sylvia jerked her head towards her brother, an amused smile growing on her red lips. "Don't tell me you still believe in all those heathen myths. I remember you jabbering about that years ago. Monsters, Nicholas, that is something commoners believe in, not people like us." He stared at the wall just behind his sister's head, unable to look her in the eyes. She did not seem to notice the hurt in Nicolas's face, but her nose scrupled up like a bad smell had drifted under the door. She turned in disgrace from her brother and switched her disapproving glare to Belle.

"Tell me Annabelle. Do you believe in my brother's ignorance?" The woman laughed as if her brother's words were really such a stupid belief.

"Yes I do. The thing that killed my father was no creature of our God's creation. It was a monster from hell." Belle's voice was flat as a flow of confidence glowed in her gut.

She was beginning to very much dislike this woman, something about her made Belle think of a sly slinking vixen. Sylvia's smile slowly vanished as she looked between Belle and her brother.

"Well. Who are you to tell me what is right and wrong? I don't even know who you are." She waved in the direction of Belle. "For all I know you could be some peasant my brother picked up from the sewers in a strange fit of charity." Her eyes narrowed, and she clenched her front teeth together in an almost fox-like hiss.

"Annabelle Novacek." Belle stated flatly, trying not to show how much the comments hurt her.

"Well that explains everything." She threw her head back in a fake laugh. "You are of a lower family, none of this is your own fault, simply who you are." Sylvia waved her hand at Belle and strolled past her, off to find the best room no doubt and write a poison filled letter to a high society friend.

Once she had vanished into the depths of the house Nicholas brought attention back to Belle.

"I am so sorry for my sister's behaviour." He signed and ran a rough hand through his short hair. "It's not her fault. She was brought up by our godfather, she has always felt misplaced." Nicholas could not look at Belle for too long, he felt so embarrassed and upset at his sister's treatment of her.