Chapter 40 - "Taming a baby hippo."

A faint buzzing pulled Elliot from her sleep and she stirred in her bed. When she opened her eyes the room still lay in semi darkness. She frowned at nothing and reached for her phone. She shut off the alarm and stared at the time, as the darkness contradicted the hour. Eventually, when her mind cleared itself from the fog of dreams, understanding dawned on her. She flung her blanket aside and stumbled out of bed, rushing to her window. She yanked the blinds open, revealing the city street.

Above the tops of the houses was an endless sea of gray. The clouds curled and expanded, growing heavy with the weight of rain. Mist slicked the window pane. In the distance she caught the faint sound of thunder, as if the sky were clearing its throat in preparation. A smile cut across her face. She turned from the window and raced about her room, grabbing clothes and avoiding near death experiences with her tangled blankets.

Showered, with her hair pulled back, she raced down the stairs. Milo raised his head from the couch and scowled at her and the amount of noise she was making. She pulled the door open.

"Your fault for not sleeping at your own place," she called out to him as she slipped out the doorway.

The air sagged under the humidity and the heat. Even with rain on the tips of the clouds, summer still held dominion over the city. Streetlights still burned yellow, unaware the clock said it was day time. Elliot trotted down the steps and onto the sidewalk. Her ponytail wiped around her as the wind kicked up. Men and women moved about, glaring up at the sky as if it were personally offending them. Umbrellas stuck out of bags while the owners still dressed as if the sun was beating down on them.

A faint rumble echoed through the sky as she crossed the Common and bounded up the stairs to the office. Compared to the humid day outside the cool room felt refreshing and almost chilly. The long row of windows displayed a perfect view of the dark sky and roiling clouds. Trees swayed under the wind, the leaves shivering in the forcefully gusts. She carelessly tossed her purse onto the couch and moved over to Beck's couch. Gripping one side, she pulled on it, trying to rotate it. She grunted as it didn't have a mind to budge. The door opened and Beck stepped inside. He paused, looking at her.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

She managed to shoot him a flat look.

"Taming a baby hippo," she muttered.

"Right, stupid question," he said, "Do you need help?"

She straightened and put her hands on her hips.

"Did you drop your brains on the way here? Or has your brawn slowly taken away from your brains?"

He chuckled and lifted his satchel over his head, dropping it on the couch.

"If it has then you are in luck because it's my brawn that is needed here."

He moved over to where Elliot stood.

"We're just rotating it," she said.

He nodded and they both gripped the end of the couch, their arms brushing. With his assistance, the couch was persuaded to shift. After three muttered exclamations and one stubbed toe, the couch faced the wall of windows. With a dramatic sigh, Elliot flopped back onto the cushions, her head resting back. Beck settled himself on the other side, looking as if nothing had happened.

"Was there a reason for the change in decor? Or have you taken after your sister and this is how you will spend the time while you're not writing?" he asked.

She chuckled. "No, I have not fallen that low yet. I wanted to watch the rain and the lightening."

A faint smile slid onto her lips. He glanced over at her, noticing the smile. Before he could ask what lay behind the look, she jumped up. He twisted around as she moved to the kitchenette.