forty: the ending.

1 year later.

Beth's 19th Birthday.

I sat at the table and messily wrote "-B" onto the last letter. The music of the party played in my ears but it was very muffled. Gently, I folded the letter and put it in the last envelope which was marked with the number:

"180"

"What's that you got there?" Ethan said, as I heard the door close behind him.

"Nothing" I said sharply, shoving the letter into the box on the table.

"Your husband is waiting for you on the dance floor, Mrs Lewis" my brother giggled.

I looked down at the long white dress and my white heels. I couldn't help but smile.

I was married to the love of my life.

It was this exact day last year we officially got together on my 18th birthday after 2 years of tension.

The glasses clinked together before the clear liquid entered our mouths. I swallowed the bitter vodka as my eye looked over at my brother and Harry talking quietly. 

Ethan nodded and Harry gulped. 

What was going on?

"Guys, I need to tell you something"  he stuttered, trying to smooth his voice. 

"What?" Gee asked, taking a sip from her cup.

"Since I met this girl, I've wanted her to be mine. I kept my feelings secret and messed her around which I'm sorry. She drove me insane as we couldn't be together. It was wrong in so many ways. But now I can let my feeling free. So Beth, will you do me the honor of being my official girlfriend?"

My mouth rose into a huge smile. 

"Of course" I squealed, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him on the lips. 

Finally.

The blue stone ring glittered on my finger under the dim lights of my dressing room.

My wedding ring.

"Jenna help me please!" I cried as I tried to put on the veil.

"Of course" she smiled into the mirror from behind the mirror.

She brought my hands down from my head and took it, helping place it stably on my head. 

"There you go, B" she grinned, stepping back from me. 

I checked my makeup for the last time, wiping away a tiny bit of lipstick. 

This was it.

"I'm ready" I breathed out. 

"You look beautiful" Mum choked out as she cried tears of happiness. 

"Mum, don't cry!" I said, wiping my fingers under her eyes. 

I opened the door and see Ethan leaning against the wall on his phone. I cleared my throat  and he looked up, his jaw dropping.