c h a p t e r t w e l v e

-

"Sometimes the quiet ones are yelling on the inside."

-

"Can I ask you a question?"

Hermione looked up from her cup of tea and slowly nodded, "Sure."
"Why were you so eager to convince me we weren't soulmates?"

Draco fiddled with the handle of his mug whilst he waited for her answer.
"I'm not sure." she said.

The pair were sat across from each other in the manor's dining room. Hermione wouldn't be surprised if Voldemort had held meetings on this very table.

"What were you and Weasley fighting about? Just out of interest." Draco muttered.

"Well," she paused. She wasn't sure whether she should tell him or not.
"I figured that if you, Ron and Harry tolerated each other, it would make them accept the soulmate thing a whole lot easier."

"And how did that go?"
"Not very well." Hermione admitted.

Draco lightly smiled before taking another sip from his mug. "Was it just Weasley? How did Potter take the idea?"

"Honestly, I think Harry was too confused to even process what I said." she chuckled.
"Though mind you," Hermione continued, giving Draco a serious look, "I think he's fine with you now. You did save his life after all by risking yours."

"Yeah, I guess i did."

-

2 May, 1998

-

"Well done, Draco."

The voice ran a chill down Draco's spine but he didn't dare move. Voldemort embraced him in what he assumed was supposed to be a hug but he couldn't be sure.

The Dark Lord pulled away and ushered Draco towards the massive army he had just committed his life to.

Taking one last glance at the crowd of students he left behind, Draco aimlessly wandered towards his parents who were standing amongst the other Death Eaters.

"Oh Merlin, come here darling." Narcissa muttered, bringing Draco into her arms. Lucius gave his son a curt nod of acknowledgement but quickly cast his gaze back to Voldemort.

Narcissa placed her hand on Draco's right shoulder as none other than Neville Longbottom stepped out into the opening in front of the Dark Lord.

"Not a good time to be so naïve, Longbottom." Draco muttered, but stopped when his father cast him a glare.

"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone." Neville began, but he was interrupted by Seamus Finnigan.
"Stand down, Neville." he said.

Neville ignored him.

"People die every day; friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight. But he's still with us, in here." he said, pointing to his heart. Draco looked around the crowd and saw Hermione standing with Ron, George and Percy.

His heart physically ached for her.
He knew it was because of the whole soulmate thing, but wasn't it also his fault? Draco was the one that let the Death Eaters into Hogwarts in the first place, right?

He stared at her but all she did was stare at Harry. She lost her bestfriend tonight. Draco wouldn't know how that felt, but he knew it must've sucked.

As Neville progressed with his speech, he noticed Hermione furrowing her eyebrows deeper and deeper.

She was still staring at Harry.