Chapter 13: The Photo

Jasper stood up, letting his camera fall back down into his chest. He looked down at the screen of his camera as he scrolled through his new yellow pictures. Standing in the middle of the road with the yellow blinking light flashing above his head, he suddenly was somewhere else. He went too far in his gallery and the memories started rolling like a supercut. It was pictures of his best friend: Natalie. She was dating Derrick, the cheating hot-head. At this point, everyone but Natalie knows about Derrick cheating on her. Jasper's secret was that he loved Natalie.... The way they laughed. The way they were like puzzle pieces. She loved puzzles... Jasper hated them, but he would solve them with her. Natalie was the girl out of his reach. She was with the "bad boy," and he didn't think that would change.

He also didn't see the person in the red hoodie behind him. But then, he heard a car coming from the left. Up the hill, the lights pushed up the incline to show the wall of the building on the corner. The Coca-Cola mural glowed in the headlights.

The person in the red hoodie freaked out. They pulled the strings of the hoodie tight to hide their face even more. The light was trying to seep through the hoodie and onto their face. Jasper turned around to see them hurrying away.

Strange, he thought. He brought his camera up to his face as fast as he could.

Snap. A photo.

The left of the image was framed by the red brick and the Coca-Cola mural. The lights from the car made the subject of the photo shine. The person in the red hoodie. It was like a rare, mythical creature captured on film. Like the Patterson-Gimlin film of Bigfoot. The photo of the Lochness Monster. But, Jasper didn't know what he had just taken, or the danger he was in.

He looked down at the photo. Wasn't good enough. Exposure's off, he thought. He was always so critical of himself, and he put his finger on the delete button.

"Hey, kid! What are you doing?"

Jasper looked up at the car, still in the middle of the road.

"Can you move, please?!" the guy in the car yelled out the window.

"Oh! Sorry!" Jasper zoned back into reality. He stepped to the side of the road, letting the car pass. He turned the camera off and walked to his car, leaving his "bad" photo still in the gallery.

He may not have liked his photo, but it made him think. It popped a question into his head: who was that?

*If you like this chapter, please vote by clicking the star. This would really help me out!