26. Finding Him

Chapter 26: Finding Him

Allen

I couldn't take the waiting any longer. It was just after noon and I still haven't heard anything from Mika. I couldn't wait around any longer, I needed to do something.

The roads had pretty much been cleared, so I felt confident I could leave safely. But that still left Sammy. Did I trust the roads were cleared enough for me to feel comfortable bringing him out there?

I waited another ten minutes, whether it was to see if Mika finally came home or my parents to show up, I wasn't sure. But when neither of those things happened, and I was too restless to consider waiting any longer than that. I needed to go to the police. They would help. I hoped.

Half and hour later, I was pulling into the parking lot of the police station. I was shaking so badly, afraid they wouldn't be able to help me, that I struggled getting Sam out of his car seat because I couldn't undo the buckle right away. As soon as I did, though, I hoisted him into my arms then made my way into the building.

"Can I help you, sir?" a young woman asked when I walked in.

I nodded. "I hope so. Um, I guess I need to report a missing person." The words almost got stuck in my throat. Saying it out loud made it real. I didn't want it to be real.

She nodded her head like it wasn't as big of a deal as it feels. "Okay. Can I have their name?"

"Mika. Uh, Mikael Simmons. He's my boyfriend. I haven't seen him since before the storm started yesterday and he hasn't contacted me at all."

She was typing away at her computer as I spoke, and after a moment, her eyes widened just slightly. "Well, I'm sorry to ask this, but are you sure he's missing? He has a bit of a record of roaming around and doesn't seem to have ever stayed for too long anywhere."

Before I could answer, she went on. "He also seems to be a suspect for a few small crimes. If we send people out to look for him, and we find him, we'll have to bring him in. He's not high on our radar, but if we get a hold of him, we're going to question his past actions."

My heart was thumping wildly in my chest. He had told me that he's broken the law before, but I never suspected that the police were keeping tabs on him for it. I no longer knew what was the best course of action: have the police look for him and risk him being arrested, if what he did was bad enough, or continue to wait for him to come home on his own.

But what if she was right? What if he did leave? If I pushed him away, I'd never forgive myself. But if I sat back and did nothing, believing he decided not to come back, I'd never know the truth. I'd never know if something bad had actually happened to him. I'd never know if he somehow died out in that storm.

No. He wasn't dead. He couldn't be. He was strong enough to survive everything life threw him for the last twenty-three years. He can survive one snowstorm.

But I didn't know for sure.

"Can you at least check the hospitals in the area?" I asked. "Just in case."

The woman nodded, then asked for more details. I told her everything she needed - the last place and time I saw him, where we lived, any place he might have gone, anything that might help.

After nearly an hour, I left after being reassured that they'll call me if they find anything. All that was left for me to do was more waiting. But this time, I was waiting for one of two things - for Mika to be arrested or to be dead. I hated thinking about either option. He didn't deserve either. I needed him to come home to me. 

Getting into my car, I noticed a missed call on my phone. I didn't recognize the number, but they did leave a voicemail. I hit play, hoping beyond hope that it was Mika.