Chapter 13

It's really hard to see, but if you look closely you can see what I almost flew over. Any Come From Away fans? I freaked out when I saw the flight path!

Spot had finished selling, though it had taken much longer than he would have liked. It was late afternoon and he wanted some peace and quiet before he headed over to Manhattan. The boys there were always loud and out of control.

Spot headed for his dock and was surprised to see someone already there. A small boy was curled up on his side, his arms under his head acting as a pillow.

"What are you doin' here?" Spot growled, not recognizing the child.

The boy didn't move and Spot moved closer, nudging him with his foot. "Kid, wake up!"

The boy slowly sat up, his hands rubbing at his eyes. He blinked groggily and squinted as he looked at Spot.

"Why are youse sleepin' on my dock?"

"I-I'm sorry. I d-didn't know that this w-was y-your dock!" The kid hurried to his feet.

"Hey, calm down. I ain't gonna hurt youse," Spot said sternly as he took in the child's bruised face. "I just wanna know why youse out here."

The boy visibly relaxed and looked up at Spot. "It's my punishment."

"Your punishment? For what?"

"I didn't pay my dues. My dues is a dollah a week but Ise only gots eighty-two cents. Hook don't like it when ya can't pay your dues."

"Your from the Bronx?" Spot asked, crossing his arms.

"Yeah. Wish I weren't, but my brother says I gots to stay 'cause Hook don't like when ya leave even more."

"Then why ain't ya still in the Bronx? Ain't ya gonna get in trouble?"

"Nah, Hook said if Ise stayed there that I'd be punished. I gotta leave 'till I can pay him. That's why I'm here, ain't got no place to stay."

Spot paused, looking over the small boy. "Where's your brother?"

The kid shrugged, his lip beginning to tremble. "Bronx I guess."

"He ain't comin' with youse?"

"He ain't been punished. He probably don't know where I am." The boy shifted on his feet with a dejected look.

"Come with me kid, I've got someone who's gonna want to talk to ya."

The boy shook his head. "I'm not leavin' unless you do me a favor."

"I'll think about it," Spot said as he grabbed the boy's arm.

"No! Youse gonna help me or else I ain't goin'!"

"What do ya want?" Spot groaned.

"I want you to get my brother."

"Your brother? No, I ain't bringin' no Bronx newsie into Brooklyn."

"Please! He's my brother! I don't wanna be alone!" The boy begged. His blue eyes watered as he sent Spot a desperate glance. Spot tried to ignore him, he never gave in to other people unless absolutely necessary, but the longer he watched the boy the more his resolve cracked.

The boy's hat had tipped on his head revealing blond hair, and that was when Spot gave in. The child reminded him to much of a moment from his past for him to say no. "I'll send one of my boys to him when we get back. That good enough?"

The boy nodded, excitedly throwing his arms around Spot's waist. "Thank you!"

"Just stop your crying," Spot said, prying the boy's arms off of him. "What's your name kid?"