12: Two Words

ARABELLA SPENT MOST OF the day wrapping presents and owling them off. She considered it to be a good distraction from the things currently happening in her life. However when she had reached the leather jacket that she had bought for Sirius, everything came crashing down again. She missed him. So much. It hurt her to even think about him. She didn't know if her time away from Hogwarts and going home was helpful or just making things worse. Despite this, she put his gift in a box and wrapped it in silver wrapping paper. She sighed and hid it under her bed, unsure if she would even have the chance to give it to him.

"Ara, sweetheart, start getting ready Walburga and Orion will be arriving soon." Her mother said, entering the room.

"Alright, mother." Arabella smiled, "Is there anything in particular you would like me to wear?"

"Something that is somewhat holiday themed would do, sweetheart." Her mother said before exiting the  room, leaving Arabella to prepare.

"Alright, I guess I'll figure something out." Arabella mumbled to herself, heading to her closet to to and find something to wear. 

After a few minutes on debating what to wear, she finally settled on a simple fitted red dress and some white flats. She also put on small candy cane earrings that James had gotten her as a joke for Christmas the past year. She put her hair in a messy bun and examined herself in the mirror. 

"You look lovely darling." Her father said, seeing her make her way down the stairs.

"Thanks dad." she smiled, kissing him on the cheek once she's reached him.

"Do you need any help mum?" Arabella asked upon seeing her mother frantically trying to make everything perfect for their guest's arrival.

"I can manage darling." Her mother smiled, putting some mince pie into the oven.

Arabella heard the doorbell ring. 

"Guess they're here." Arabella's father said, "Ara, can you please get the door?"

"Sure dad." Arabella said, putting on her best fake smile and making her way to the front door. 

Arabella was greeted by a slightly smiling Walburga and a poker-faced Orion Black. "Hello, Aunt Walburga and Uncle Orion. Happy Holidays." She said as convincingly as she can manage. Orion nodded and said a quiet "Happy Holidays." as he entered the house.

Walburga, on the other hand, gave Arabella a hug and kissed her cheek before saying "Happy Holidays, Arabella." with a smile.

Arabella's eyes followed Walburga and Orion as they made their way deeper into the house. She sighed and looked back to the door to close it, only to be greeted by the last person she wanted to see.

"Hello Arabella."

"Sirius." she said, shocked. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be spending the holidays at Hogwarts." 

"I thought you were spending it there and I wasn't really ready to face you, so-" Sirius started but was cut off by Arabella.

"So you decided to go home. I thought the same." Arabella sighed.

"ARA HONEY! SIRIUS WENT HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. YOU'LL HAVE SOMEONE TO KEEP YOU COMPANY HERE. ISN'T THAT EXCITING?" Arabella heard her mother yell from the dining room.

"I know mum" she muttered. 

"So are you going to let me in? It's freezing out here." Sirius said, his teeth lightly chattering.

Arabella noticed that she hadn't even let him in yet and she's wasn't sure if she wanted him to.

"I'd rather not."