39. Trap & Bait.

{An hour earlier}

"Don't let Dick out of your sight," Bruce told Wally sternly with a small frown. "If anything happens, let me know."

Wally nodded seriously, holding the pouting bird's hand tightly.

"Do you think you'll find anything?" The thirteen year old asked curiously.

"I don't know." replied the older man honestly. "Roy and I will check out the warehouses, they're not far from here, just by the docks."

"Yeah," the archer stumbled in, all smiles. "It'll be a piece of cake and remember, we're just fifteen minutes away."

"Okay." Dick frowned, not able to shake the feeling of being watched. "Just come back alive."

Bruce stared at him son knowing that nothing he could say would make him less worried, so instead he smiled. "I could say the same for you."

The boy laughed. "We both know I'm going to outlive you..." his voice trailed off when he saw the almost concealed sadness in Bruce's eyes. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No." Bruce answered a little bit to hurriedly for the young Grayson's liking and Dick frowned more, his eyes falling on Roy who looked away.

With a confused huff, the boy dragged Wally away, wondering what was going on. He could have sworn that he knew, but for some reason, he couldn't remember.

-=-

"I don't think this is a good idea," Roy grumbled, putting on his mask and costume as Bruce stared at the warehouse with narrowed eyes.

"We're being followed."

Roy grumbled even more. "We already checked this place, guess what, we found nothing too."

Bruce frowned under his cowl. "This is a trap."

"You think!" Roy slapped his forehead as he clipped on his quiver, pulling out his bow in preparation to be attacked.

"If we can beat these guys, we can get back to Dick." The bat stated once again, ignoring Roy's protests.

Suddenly, the archer came to a realization, looking at the older man in disbelief. "Don't tell me that we are bait."

"I think Dick was poisoned."

-

I'm super sorry for taking so long😭.