Chapter 40

"Jacob, please let me in," Hunter sighed. He was sitting on the floor, just outside his bedroom. Jacob was sitting on the other side of the door with his back pressed up against it. After breaking down on the grass outside, he needed some alone time and ran into Hunter's room. He was stronger now and was just able to hold Hunter back without him truly forcing his way in.

Now, half an hour later, the werewolf was beginning to feel a little heated about the situation.

"Son, I think he needs longer by himself. It's not a bad thing for mates to have a moment to breathe alone. You should go outside and talk to your pack about it. They need to know what's going on."

Hunter frowned at his mum and stood up.

"What do you expect me to tell them when I have no idea what is going on?"

"Just tell them that Jacob is okay and-"

"But he's not okay, is he?" Hunter scowled. "He's freaking out and I can't even give him answers. It's my fault that he has been dragged into this mess."

"Hunter, calm down. He's just overwhelmed, he'll get used to it," Anthony butted in. "He doesn't need you to be stressed on top of all his worries."

Hunter turned and knocked on his bedroom door again, making Jacob jump.

"Will you please just let me talk to you. I can feel that you're not in a good place and you shouldn't be on your own."

Jacob pulled his knees up to his chest and buried his head against them. He wanted to run away somewhere far.

"Leave me alone," He said loud enough for Hunter to hear. He clenched his jaw and rubbed his eyes. He took a big breath to calm himself down.

"Okay," He said in a nicer tone. "I'm going for a run so I'll leave you for an hour or two. If you need anything, my parents will be here."

Jacob closed his eyes, his body was tense. When he heard Hunter's footsteps leave, he stood up and slowly walked over to his bed. He climbed under the duvet and curled up into a ball. He could smell him and his chest felt a little lighter.

He couldn't believe he changed into a wolf. It felt so odd. He was one hundred percent himself but his body was different. He didn't know how to use his legs, he couldn't speak or do anything. But now that he had made that change, his senses felt sharper and too strong.

Hunter's smell was driving him insane. He loved it. Maybe his strong jealousy over him was Just him being territorial?

He pressed his face into the pillow and allowed a few tears to melt into it. He just wanted to be human, why was that too much to ask for?

* * * * *

Almost Three hours had passed by and Jacob woke up to the sound of birds chirping. He stretched and opened his eyes in confusion. His mind was empty and clear when he was faced with almost darkness. He slowly rolled onto his back and felt the soft fabric of something brush against his face.

All of a sudden, the memories of what happened to him came flooding back. His heart spiked in his chest. He had been crying on Hunter's bed and he must have fallen asleep. He was still under his covers.

Slowly he pulled the duvet from his face and sat up sleepily. His eyes instantly caught sight of a tall figure.

Hunter was stood, leaning against the doorframe and watching his mate with a peaceful twinkle in his eye. His run really helped him to calm down. There was just something about sprinting at full speed with the wind running through his fur and him feeling his muscles working and burning that encouraged him.