six

"i had sworn to myself that i'm contentwith loneliness"

i'm content
with loneliness"

Rainbow Larsen hated hospitals with a deep burning passion. She hated the smell, the looks of the medical establishments, and the people who inhabited the place who looked near death. The soccer player took great pains to make sure she wouldn't find herself in a hospital bed yet here she was, looking up at the dull lights above her while she waited to be released.

Her shoulder had been put back into place by a nice woman she now knew as Scott's mother, Melissa, and was given ibuprofen to help with the pain she felt on her upper left side. She was against calling her parents since they were both at work and she feared one parent would overreact and assume she was involved in some sort of dangerous activity while the other parent would be furious for having to miss work. Of course, the former had chosen to answer the hospital's obligated call and Rainbow found herself zoning out as her mother rambled on about how she didn't want her children going anywhere near the woods.

Amara Larsen still had small patches of flour on her face and clothes from work, the older woman so much in a rush she had to sit down and make sure she had locked her shop before she left. She was prone to forgetfulness, a trait Benjamin seemed to possess as well even though he wasn't actually Amara's son. The young preteen listened to his mother talk about her day while he devoured the freshly baked sweets she had baked for him.

"Your father says he wishes he could be here-"

Benjamin snorted, sucking the warm milk chocolate off of his thumb slowly. "No he doesn't. He's probably pissed he got interrupted at work."

Amara slapped her son's shoulder gently, pushing dark strands of hair out of her face. She hung up the phone quickly, knowing her husband severely disliked being interrupted while he was working. "Don't say 'pissed' Benjamin, say....you know what I give up, just say pissed."

"Pissed," the boy repeated the phrase multiple times in multiple accents and other variations as the chocolate began to kick in. Amara Larsen sighed in response, turning her attention to her eldest child.

"Bow, how are you feeling?" The worried mother stood up from her seat across the room and made herself comfortable on the edge of the cold hospital bed her daughter was seated on. "Has the medicine kicked in yet?"

The teenager grumbled a response, the medicine was giving her an unexplainable feeling on her right side that was causing her to take her irritability out on her mother, which she hated. "Yes. I'm fine, can these people let me go now? They already popped my damn shoulder back in what more do they want from me?"

Amara, who was known to be patient and calm, gently placed her hand on top of her daughters, warming it. "They just want to make sure that you're fine. You know you've got some bruising on your ribcage from the little fall you took and-"