Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ariel

"Ariel!" Daniel called. The name was a very bittersweet thing for me. Everything about Ariel just screamed lady-like, polite, girly... Ew. That was so not me. But it was like a link to my real family. They chose my name and made sure it was on the necklace I wore. They didn't want the angels to choose a new name. I assume it must hold some significance.

"Ariel!" He called again, sounding more stressed, but when wasn't he stressed?

"Coming!" I answered, and walked out of my room into the corridor. I had to blink a few times to adjust to all the white. My room is all black - which is frowned upon by basically everyone here - while everything else in heaven houses are white, cream (yes there is a difference), silver, and gold. You would think I would get used to all the brightness in my sixteen years of living here, but I haven't.

As I walked down the hallways to my guardian's office, I gazed outside the windows. We are on a cloud, but it isn't a normal cloud. If you ever paid attention in science class, you would know clouds are made of water and we would fall right through.

God (My adoptive dad or guardian has actually met him, and I heard he's a technology geek) created heaven and added some sort of charm-like-thing to make it float in the sky. It's invisible to humans though.

Although, if whenever it's supposed to be a clear sky and you see one loner cloud in the corner, you should know your supernatural because heaven is only visible to non-human beings.

Once I reached Daniel's office I opened the door without knocking because manners simply aren't my thing. He didn't even scold me for coming in without knocking so I immediately knew something was wrong.

The archangel in front of me was engrossed in reading something on an IPad. I could see a couple wrinkle lines on his forehead which is bizarre considering angels don't get wrinkles. They have perfect skin. How stressed is he exactly?

"Daniel?" I said. I don't call him dad because it never felt right. I know he's not my father. Most angels find it odd I don't call him dad and think it's because I'm ungrateful or something. That's not true; I just don't want to call him something he's not.

Do you ever call Miley Cyrus an all-American goody goody? I don't think so. Although it is hilarious to watch her twerk from up here.

He didn't correct me, cringe, grimace or even as much as give me a disapproving look when I called him Daniel and that's when I knew this situation wasn't just bad. It was downright dreadful, appalling, gruesome, ghastly, horrific, horrendous... okay maybe I'm overreacting. But he always reacts negatively when I don't call him dad.

"Daniel! What is it?!" I asked again, sounding impatient.

He looked up from the IPad looking startled. Oh God, he is never startled! He can hear someone approaching from miles away.

I masked my concern, worry, and most of all fear with a hard, cold look. I wasn't overly fond of displaying my emotions like a cake at a buffet. 

"Ariel, why don't you sit down?" he offered.

"I don't need to sit. Now tell me why I'm here. What's going on?" I asked, my voice slightly pissed. Yet, I still didn't show how scared I was. What wasn't he telling me what had him so out of it?

He let out a sigh, and began to tell me the next few sentences which would turn my life upside down, "Ariel, the war is taxing on us angels. As you know vampires die with just a stake to the heart or garlic poisoning, and female angels don't fight-"