CHAPTER XX

– M A K A Y L A –

She never even made a sound.

I poured a clotting serum over the wound and not even a murmur escaped her lips.

How is that possible. Or better yet, what kind of pain has she experienced in the past to develop such a threshold...

I watched those flaming eyes burn but never saw more. When I finished with the serum and bacteria killing gels, I secured it with a nano-seal. That would ensure that not even a scratch would remain in a week.

She turned her arm towards her admiring my work.

"Well, someone is full of surprises..." She muttered.

"Part of an excruciatingly all-round education." I shrugged. "Not that I've ever had to experience it first-hand." I said more quietly averting my gaze.

Her head went up then. I could feel her eyes on me but I couldn't meet them.

"Makayla." She said steadily.

I glanced at her. A silence filled the room for a moment before she spoke again.

"Say the word and you'll never have to see any of this again." Her head dropped back towards her arm as if she was trying to distract herself. "Never have to see me again." She said firmly.

"That's not what I mean." I murmured. "—and you know it."

"How long before you are sitting where I am?" She spoke softly. "How long before eyes start turning towards you in midst of your father's rage?" Her voice hardened. "I won't lose you to this place as well. If you stay near me—stay here—it will only get worse for us both." She stated with a finality that cracked at my heart.

I glared down at her. "So you get to make choices for me as well?" I almost growled back. "Like him?"

Her face froze and every emotion left it.

"What did you say." She whispered quietly. Her eyes were no longer burning but blazing into mine as she looked ready to devour my very existence.

"Alex—" I tried. An apology was already on my lips.

"I am. Nothing. Like him." She all but snarled back. "He is a worthless coward who has done nothing but sit back while the Sectors outside of 10 all but crumbled and burned."

My own temper flared, I couldn't help it. This was the man that raised me--my only family.

"And what have you done?" I spread my arms wide as if gesturing to the whole Underworld. "Made it crumble faster?" I let out a bitter laugh. "Killed anyone that stopped you from rising to the same sad power my father craves?"

She flew to her feet then to get in my face. But she didn't lay a finger on me. Her eyes said enough.

"Get. Out." She growled.

I stared at her for a second. If I was honest, I wasn't in any mood to stay. I needed a moment away from assassins and death for just... who knows. Perhaps for good.

So, I obliged the killer and turned on my heel, yanked the door open and disappeared through it without looking back.

– S C O R P I O N –

I tossed back another tumbler as I slouched against the bed on the floor.

How dare she. How could she possibly judge me? She was the one who sat on the silver throne with a spoon wedged firmly up her ass.

She hasn't had to beg and scrap for a morsel of food a day in her life! Never had to fight for a right to her existence. Then she suddenly has the nerve to tell me that I had made the city fall faster?

I threw the empty glass against the wall.

It made a satisfying smash but did nothing for me. I glared at the shards as if they were her biting words all over again. It was so much worse that she had been the one to say them.

It would seem that I now know where her allegiance stands. Which side she is truly on. But who was I kidding thinking see would be any different... If I had any family left I would probably choose them too.

I sighed through my nose.

Life always had a funny way of stealing my happiness. Just when things had started to look good--

A knock sounded on my door.

I remained silent and sincerely hoped whoever was on the other side would fuck off.

"It would seem like you have royally pissed off the entire imperial family now." A familiar voice said behind it.

Another sigh left me before I chuckled despite everything.

"Enter."

The door opened and shut swiftly. Then a towering man with vicious tattoos down one side of his face was looking at me in disbelief.

"We do buy cushioned objects for sitting purposes you know..." He stated with a wry smile.

"I'm not in the mood." I muttered as I grabbed for the whiskey bottle. At least I didn't throw that against the wall...

"If this is about what happened in Sector 30–"

"That and many more reasons." I interrupted firmly between gulps.

He stood there with a frown, watching me in silence as I drank.

"She left." He said suddenly.

I didn't even look at him. "Great."

"I imagine she's doing the same thing." He continued.

"And zero shits remain given this day." I said as I saluted him with the bottle.

"She's probably already been taken or tortured by now..." He mused, completely indifferent to the idea.

My irritation was beginning to build as I glared at him. His smile only widened.

"You know I hear the organ snatchers are looking for—"

I threw the bottle at his head.

"ALRIGHT!" I shouted. Then I stumbled to my feet and adjusted my cloak. "I will go find the moronic Sector 1'er once again!" I said ironically as I pushed past him to retrieve my weapons.

"Moping does not become you."

"Nor does talking become you." I retorted.

He chuckled darkly behind me. "Only when it's needed."

With my back facing him still, I made sure he didn't see the smile that crossed my face. Because no matter what I said to his face, Proximo was the closest thing I would ever had to family.

"Let's go find her Highness then." I drawled as I faced him once more.

He only rolled his eyes in response as he stormed towards the door. But I could of sworn I caught him mutter "—things I do for you..."